Saves and Sparky Topic

Situation:

My team takes the lead early. My starter can't complete 5 innings. Say I have a closer available any innings, but "only in save situation", would Sparky consider this a save situation? It looks like one, even though it's not.

I'm currently toying around a team to brake the most saves in a season record (68) and this situation popped up... I've always had doubts about Sparky's logic.

Any thoughts or experiences?

PS. Since you get my theorical strategy to rack up saves: in a legit save situation (so after at least 2 pitchers) would Sparky even bring the closer as soon as 4th or 5th?
10/9/2012 3:18 AM
In my experience, including ticket exchanges with customer service, it's next to impossible to get a pitcher designated as the closer into the game before the 8th inning.
10/9/2012 8:37 AM
XJchessman is correct... You can't get a "closer" into the game before the 8th.  So you need to find a way around that issue... Here's what I would try

Have a 200-250 IP SP as your closer.

Have enough IP in your rotation to get everyone through the 6th inning.  Ideally longer. 

Set your closer as SETUP A , eliigible to come in in the 6th inning.  Pull setting of 1, enough pitch count to finish out the game (50-60?)

Set any other relievers to be LONG A, eligible to come in in the 4th inning.  Have their pull settings be 3 or higher.  Limit them to 20-25 pitch count, so that Sparky will go to a Set up guy if he is available. 

By default, in the 6th inning forward, Sparky wants to use a Set Up guy.  He will select a Long A type only if the set up guy is tired.    So any save situations would go to the single Set Up A guy, whether he gets put into the game in the 6th inning or later (unless he is tired). 

That's how I would try to do this.
10/9/2012 10:47 AM (edited)
Tx biglenr, seems like a good idea. I,m brushing on that... although I think I'll go with Joss. From my Silver King experiments, I can easily use my pitcher in 110 games... I started this idea with Pete Alexander (400 IP+ as a closer!). I don't want to get to close to max usage early on. I'll probably go 1 game out of 2 for the first 20-30 games to give room, and then increase his usage to 2-3 rythm, then 3-4 and 4-5 in the last 10-20 games. Anyway, gonna be a first try at this record, so I might give a (better) second shot after if I fail.

Record is 68 and my team A should (need to) play around .750+ (team B playing .000+) in a 110+/52- proportion so 80-85 (90 if everything goes well) wins... and saves situations. There will be botch saves and tie games, plus Sparky and/or me screwing it, so I have room for very little and I need to score early.
10/13/2012 3:16 AM
Saves and Sparky Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.