A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 7/31/2013 9:58:00 PM (view original):
I disagree. It's well within Arod's rights under the JDA to appeal a suspension. It's Selig acting "above the game" by indicating that he will suspend Arod outside the rules of the JDA and not allow an appeal to an arbitrator. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Arod, he still has a right to due process.
Your ignorance, once again, is showing.

Any ban of ARod by Selig under the "best interests" clause would be for ARod's actions outside of what's covered by the JDA for which, supposedly, there is a ton of supporting evidence, i.e. witness tampering, attempting to obtain and destroy evidence from the investigation, etc.
7/31/2013 10:50 PM
Any suspension would stem primarily from PED evidence. He should be punished under the guidelines of the JDA.
7/31/2013 10:59 PM
What part of "outside of what's covered by the JDA" do you not understand?

Evidence of witness tampering, attempting to destroy evidence, interfering with an investigation, etc., would not be "PED evidence".
8/1/2013 7:13 AM (edited)
My guess is MLB and ARoid have better lawyers than either of you think you are.

If MLB is talking "best interests", they have a reason.   If ARoid's lawyers are negotiating a deal, which is what's being reported this AM, they know MLB has just cause.
8/1/2013 8:01 AM
i heard something about when melky got suspended and tried to make a phony website to blame his positive test on, it led back to arod. so maybe that's the 'extra' thing he did other than juicing and lying about it constantly.
8/1/2013 9:10 AM
I heard about Melky's phony website, but not that it was linked to ARod.

That could be one of ARod's "extra things", but just one of supposedly many things beyond PED use that's getting him in deep **** with MLB.
8/1/2013 9:29 AM
Melky was still punished under the JDA. The league is on a witch hunt to get Arod. Even if it means tearing up the JDA.
8/1/2013 9:52 AM
What part of "outside of what's covered by the JDA" do you not understand?
8/1/2013 10:01 AM
The primary offense is covered under the JDA. This is Selig just trying to create leverage. It's the same as Arod saying he will appeal any suspension.

Eventually, both sides will agree on a suspension under the JDA, with Selig dropping the "best interests of the game" angle and Arod agreeing not to appeal.
8/1/2013 10:07 AM

There are two components to ARod's case, making him different from most everybody else involved in Biogenesis.  There's the PED aspect, which is covered by the JDA, and there's the "everything else" aspect which could fall under the "best interests" clause.

That's why ARod is going to get more than the 50 game suspension dictated by the JDA.

There may be a "witch hunt" element to the ARod case, but it sounds like there are tons of evidence to justify it.  As Mike pointed out, if there was nothing to it, ARod's people would not be backing off their earlier stance and would not now be negotiating a settlement.

8/1/2013 10:18 AM
I'm sure MLB is trying to get him for a longer suspension like they did Braun. Obviously Arod is trying to minimize it. Both sides are trying to create leverage but eventually they will settle. You're delusional if you think Arod will end up banned for life.
8/1/2013 10:31 AM
I don't think he'll get banned for life, as his people are now working on a settlement with MLB to avoid that.

But I also don't think he'll play another game in a Yankee uniform.  If he plays another MLB game for anybody else is in the air.  He's become a pariah, I'm not sure who will want to touch him once he's eligible to play again.
8/1/2013 10:40 AM
The Yankees won't be able to trade him. Do you think they'll release him???
8/1/2013 10:43 AM
"Banned for life" was simply MLB's way to force ARod to negotiate a deal rather than extend this into the pennant races/post-season.    I don't think anyone believes he can be banned for life.    Of course, it sounds like MLB has some form of "obstruction of justice" on ARod so it's more than PED use.  

The most likely scenario, IMO, is a suspension for this year and next.   After that, the Yanks negotiate a partial settlement of some sort for his final 3 years to send him into the sunset.
8/1/2013 10:45 AM
Why would he agree to a settlement for less than the remainder of his contract?
8/1/2013 10:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.