A-Rod: Satan? Topic

One would think he has to have some form of self-awareness and a little bit of pride.     He's stumbling around in the minors now.   He has to know he's a shell of his former self.   And he has to know that he won't be better in 2015.    He's owed 61m for '15-'17.    The only carrot left is the bonus for 660 homers(he's a dozen or so short).   There' no HR record, there's no HOF, there's no future in baseball.   Take some money, move on and avoid the spotlight.

That said, ARod has shown a surprising lack of self-awareness his entire career so there is that as a wild card.
8/1/2013 10:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2013 10:45:00 AM (view original):
"Banned for life" was simply MLB's way to force ARod to negotiate a deal rather than extend this into the pennant races/post-season.    I don't think anyone believes he can be banned for life.    Of course, it sounds like MLB has some form of "obstruction of justice" on ARod so it's more than PED use.  

The most likely scenario, IMO, is a suspension for this year and next.   After that, the Yanks negotiate a partial settlement of some sort for his final 3 years to send him into the sunset.
I agree that this is the most likely scenario.

Though the discussions concerning a settlement for '15 thru '17 will be another three-ring circus that will once again be fought in the media between ARod's people and Yankees brass, with the MLBPA likely making a fair amount of noise as well.

Because ARod has repeatedly shown himself to be without morals or class, it's going to be ugly.
8/1/2013 11:02 AM
I can't imagine MLBPA doing anything more than required.   If the reaction to Braun is any indication, players are not going to be very supportive of ARod.
8/1/2013 11:05 AM
Although I do think an A-Rod return in '15 would be interesting.   Yanks are 100% against it.   ARod refuses to settle in hopes of that HR bonus.  Yanks bury him on the bench for three years.    Girardi, or whoever is managing, saying "We're just looking for the right moment to use him."   ARod saying "I'm ready.  Just let me play!" for three seasons.    That would be fun.
8/1/2013 11:14 AM
There's no way he takes a settlement for less. He has nothing to gain by doing that. People will still hate him, he won't make the HOF (at least not at first, he deserves to be in at some point), he won't be able to play for another team.

I think he serves a 100 game suspension, comes back, and plays out the rest if his contract with the Yankees (assuming he stays healthy).
8/1/2013 11:15 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2013 11:05:00 AM (view original):
I can't imagine MLBPA doing anything more than required.   If the reaction to Braun is any indication, players are not going to be very supportive of ARod.
You're still talking about a serious amount of money.  The MLBPA is all about protecting money contractually owned to players.  Remember how they wouldn't let ARod renegotiate his contract when he was traded to the Red Sox after the '03 season, even when he felt it was in his best interests to do so?

The Braun case may have been a tactical exception, in that Braun and the MLBPA figured that a 65 game suspension this year would take less money out of Braun's wallet than a 50 game suspension next season, after he probably signs a financially significant deal as a FA.
8/1/2013 11:17 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/1/2013 11:15:00 AM (view original):
There's no way he takes a settlement for less. He has nothing to gain by doing that. People will still hate him, he won't make the HOF (at least not at first, he deserves to be in at some point), he won't be able to play for another team.

I think he serves a 100 game suspension, comes back, and plays out the rest if his contract with the Yankees (assuming he stays healthy).
He's getting more than a 100 game suspension.  And he doesn't play another game in Yankee pinstripes.

Book it.
8/1/2013 11:18 AM

He has a lot to gain.   Take 30-40m instead of 61m and move on with your life at 38-39 y/o.    Leave the grind of baseball which, you have to admit, is much worse for A-Rod than some benchwarmer and enjoy your life.  He won't be Pete Rose who sells autographs to make some dough.   
8/1/2013 11:21 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/1/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):

He's getting more than a 100 game suspension.  And he doesn't play another game in Yankee pinstripes.

Book it.
I think it's possible he settles for one year. But he'll be back, unless the Yankees release him. There's no way he takes a contract settlement. You and mike are letting your Yankee crushes cloud your reasoning.
8/1/2013 11:24 AM
I don't think you understand the value of moving on with your life AND having a bag of money in hand. 

He'd be on a team that doesn't want him playing in front of fans that don't want to see him.  
8/1/2013 11:28 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/1/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):
I don't think you understand the value of moving on with your life AND having a bag of money in hand. 

He'd be on a team that doesn't want him playing in front of fans that don't want to see him.  
I think you're delusional.
8/1/2013 11:35 AM
The wildcard here, as Mike alluded to earlier, is that ARod has not shown that he has a much self-awareness.   He seems to be borderline delusional with respect to his situation and his abilities (or lack of) at this stage of his career. 

I'm guessing that he still feels that he can be a "difference maker" in the Yankee lineup, and will be through the '17 season.  And that may be the biggest problem with any contract buyout discussions.
8/1/2013 11:35 AM
the most he'd get after having next season off is a minor league contract with another team. if he's still signed to the yanks, he will rarely play. he's bad enough now, he will be worse than replacement level after next year. he's another barry bonds. bonds said he'd play for ml minimum but nobody wanted him even tho his obp was still thru the roof. cause nobody wants their team to be all about the one ******* player. why bother taking all the drama that comes with someone like that?
8/1/2013 11:38 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/1/2013 11:24:00 AM (view original):

Book it.
I think it's possible he settles for one year. But he'll be back, unless the Yankees release him. There's no way he takes a contract settlement. You and mike are letting your Yankee crushes cloud your reasoning.
Would you rather do something for $60M that is completely unenjoyable, or do nothing for $30M?
8/1/2013 11:47 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/1/2013 11:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/1/2013 11:24:00 AM (view original):

Book it.
Would you rather do something for $60M that is completely unenjoyable, or do nothing for $30M?
There's no way I would settle if I were him. He's going to be miserable either way, better to collect what is owed to him than be miserable and get screwed out of the rest of his contract.
8/1/2013 12:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...48 Next ▸
A-Rod: Satan? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.