So Mizzou is my first shot at BCS level, and I'm sucking mightily. With my prestigue I can't really fight for the great guys in state because I'd get killed by the multiples on the dollar. I've never tried intentionally taking talk-ons, but i might try going forward to put more cash toward one player if needed. I'm trying my usual theory of taking lower rated guys with high potential and letting them grow with high IQs, but it's not working so much. Is boom or bust a better strategy, taking 1 really highly rated guy and 2-3 really cheap ones? If you had my team, knowing my limitations of being surrounded by KU, Iowa, OK, TX, Illinois, Arkansas, KSU, ISU, what would you do? Who would you start? Who gets your shots? am I just not good enough for this level?

Here is an example of the type of guy i used to covet, He's a SF and he took a RS. I know he's not great, but the ATH, D, potential in SPD and scoring categories enticed me.

Athleticism 78

Speed 37

Rebounding 42

Defense 80

Shot Blocking 24

Low-post 10

Perimeter 35

Ball Handling 27

Passing 43

Work Ethic 62

Stamina 55

Durability 57

Here is another one. again, the potentials. he's going to be a PF right now, and he'll get some minutes to help make up for the lowish WE. Again, the ATH and DEF with high potential in REB and LP got me.

Athleticism 88

Speed 40

Rebounding 44

Defense 78

Shot Blocking 31

Low-post 32

Perimeter 39

Ball Handling 43

Passing 18

Work Ethic 37

Stamina 66

Durability 46

Also, my DII school, i know i need more speed and PE. i focused too much on ATH and D. but it's sort of working for now. I'll take any advice for there too, but I don't think I need it as much as Mizzou.
10/11/2012 3:33 PM
ok - just realized that even though i posted the guys with the potentials, it didn't translate the right way.

So for the SF. high potentials in ATH, SPD, block, LP, PE, STAM. AVG potential in DEF and BH. Low in REB and PASS.

for the PF Highs in REB, DEF, BLOCK, LP, PASS, STAM. AVG in ATH and SPEED and PE, Low in everything else.
10/11/2012 3:35 PM
It's so challenging to break thru. I'm still meddling in Dl but my record pretty much reflects yours. I've made the PI some and the NT once. Dl is just brutal in my opinion. You get hamstrung by a C or C+ prestige and with the teams around you, it's nearly impossible. I have never taken walk on's because I always felt like as the weaker team I needed to have 12 players developing. However, I don't think you can go wrong taking a walk on. 2 walk on's? I'm not sure about that. Some of the best advice I got was to take it one spot at a time. Don't go for 3 spots. Go for it one at a time. I would put alot of effort into that local guy 100 mi or less if he's there. It may cost you, but go for it. Then work your list from there. I've never been able to get higher than a 3* and I usually had to battle for him. I hate battles but sometimes you have to do it. By battle I mean protect your own, not poach. But, many on here support poaching if the distance, opposing coach, etc make sense for you to poach. Anyway I looked at your team, you have 4 seniors over 800 rating so you can recruit. If you want better players, you probably need to go the walk on route, then spend big on fewer targets. I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'm stuck getting off the radar, 550-580 rated guys just outside the top 200. Otherwise, I get poached. Good luck!
10/11/2012 6:04 PM
I like the ATH, SPD & DEF that your team has and you have a few guards who can really shoot, however you have almost no rebounding and no low post scoring outside of the SG Long (89LP!!). This means you should see a lot of + defenses this season and on top of that other teams will probably still have a big rebounding advantage over you, which is going to present some huge problems. As for recruiting, Im currently in the same position (3rd season at Texas A&M with C- prestige) and you just have to pick thru states like Texas to find guys who are high in a few categories like spd, def, pa, bh and pe for PG & SG and high in ath, reb and lp for post players. In your case you have got to get some decent options in the low post moving forward to balance your team out some, if that means taking a walkon so be it but I personally don't like having more than one. From there its all about smart scheduling and making postseason tournaments to increase your prestige to be able to battle for recruits.
10/11/2012 11:53 PM
He might have to run uptempo for a game or two to see how it works he has a pretty small athletic, quick team with like you said slyman no rebounding hardly at all except for the center he has guys who can shoot the lights out.
10/13/2012 12:29 AM
Personally with that team I would go slowdown for a few reasons. 1)You will take less shots so in theory you decrease the potential for a large rebounding margin 2)Since the team has good shooters, in theory the team should be decently efficient on the offensive end. Throw in the pretty good team spd, ath & def in a m2m defense and you can most likely beat teams by playing good defense and being more efficient. 
10/13/2012 1:12 AM
Yeah, he has a lot of sims in his non conference to try out a game of slowdown and fast paced and should be to win both of the sims regardless of what tempo he plays to see which one works better.
10/13/2012 8:53 AM
I'll try both and let you know
10/13/2012 11:49 AM

Running slowdown against sims isn't a good idea. Sims overplay their starters.

10/13/2012 3:30 PM
He will be fine experimenting with the tempo against Sim teams since his team is good enough to sneak in the NT and win a game if things fall right. 
For the longest time I was under the assumption that you needed to speed the game up against teams that were not as good as my team. However I was forced to play slowdown at UConn this season because of some recruiting misses and I have come to realize that people dont give it enough credit. Granted you might slip up and lose a close game that you thought you should win but you will also be in a lot more games especially since that approach makes more sense for the way trobone's team is built this season. Even if the Sim does overplay its starters, if you are running slowdown you will be getting more minutes out for your starters as well and you will be minimizing a possible weakness (rebounding in this case) in the team. The only time slowing the game down might hurt your team is if you run a press where you want more possessions to try and force turnovers. On a side note beating a sim shouldnt be that hard, whenever I play a Sim with any of my teams I just go to a +2 and never seem to have any trouble.
10/14/2012 12:30 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.