A Little WIS Immortality Topic

A few months ago, I put together an OL team just for fun, with two goals in mind:  steal a lot of bases (not playing a lot of OLs I didn't know high steals was a current gambit), and walk as few batters as possible.  I stole a lot, but was really impressed with the walks: with about a half-dozen games to go, I had a chance to make the Top Three All-Time.  The record is 102 walks in a season; third, 120.  My team made the playoffs, and I gave up my shot at the record list to rest my starters - I wound up with about 126 walks, as I remember.

That encouraged me to go all-out to get on the list of top three fewest walks.  I had an inauspicious beginning, walking three the first game; I quickly rebounded, walking none the next six games, then walked six the next four.  I settled down after that; the season just ended, and I wound up not only making the Top Three but actually setting the record - walking only 98 players the entire season.

Some numbers:
0 Walk Games: 89 (55%)
1 Walk Games: 53 (33%)
2 Walk Games: 15 (9%)
3 Walk Games: 5 (3%)
4+ Walk Games: 0
BB/9: 0.606
10/12/2012 2:37 AM
Nice... since this version of the SIM has been in place for so long, breaking any of the records is a pretty good feat.  How'd the team do overall?
10/12/2012 10:37 AM
Not terrible - 76-86.  I gave no consideration to offense when drafting my position players, and wound up with three Gold Gloves - and, surprisingly, one Silver Slugger.  I was also impressed with '13 Christy Mathewson, who (in a four-man rotation) won 24 games and was third in Cy Young.
10/12/2012 11:40 AM
That's cool.   who were some of the pitchers besides the 13 Mathewson? 
10/12/2012 12:40 PM
My rotation was '13 and '14 Mathewson; '94 Saberhagen (my only pitcher with a BB/9 over 1.00 for the season - in fact, my only one over .65), and '10 Cliff Lee/'63 Hal Brown in Tandem.  My pen was '89 and '90 Eck ('90 Eck walked one batter in 83 innings); '40 Podjany; and '70 Navarro (who walked none, albeit in only 24 innings). 

I knew I couldn't rely on AAA pitching (never called them up), so I drafted 1350 innings and crossed my fingers I wouldn't get into too many extra-inning games early: I would up with 18 extra-inning affairs (third in the league) and 1455 IP for the season.  I had to shuffle things around a couple times, but generally avoided any serious fatigue issues: 58 complete games (not including Tandem games) helped a lot.
10/12/2012 1:04 PM
Pretty cool.  I set the stolen bases mark for a season a little while ago after about 3 tries.  One of my teams got in the top 3, but the record never posted because my team winning percentage was under a certain number.   Which made me ask the question:  How does the sim recognize some of the "bad" records like most losses in a season, etc (162)?   Are those teams not held to the same winning percentage qualifiers?
10/13/2012 11:00 AM
Precisely.  Also, you can be 'disqualified' for other reasons.  For example, there used to be a theme (haven't seen it in a long time) where you predicted the number of wins you'd get (the commish set out the numbers from which you could choose, so there was a wide disparity).  One time I selected 123 wins and hit it exactly.  However, since other teams were intentionally trying to lose (having selected, say, 40 wins) my record didn't count - rightly so, I might add.
10/13/2012 5:19 PM
A Little WIS Immortality Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.