A-Rod to Cubs? Topic

Interesting comment by Gary Thorne in the ninth during ARod's AB. They showed a picture of a fan with a cell phone - "There's a fan trying to capture a little history. ARod's last at-bat as a Yankee."
10/18/2012 7:38 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/18/2012 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Any chance of Soriano for ARod? Yanks could use Soriano in LF/DH, they get a bit of salary relief in terms of years, and a (slightly) younger player that doesn't seem to be declining as fast.
If Soriano was in the deal, I could see the original scenario with the Yanks only picking up 50 million of A-Rod's contract being legit, since they'd also be taking 36 million off the Cubs' hand in the last two year's of Soriano's deal.
10/18/2012 11:33 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/18/2012 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Any chance of Soriano for ARod? Yanks could use Soriano in LF/DH, they get a bit of salary relief in terms of years, and a (slightly) younger player that doesn't seem to be declining as fast.
I thought of that also...have any players in history been traded for each other twice?
10/19/2012 12:47 AM
Tim Cullen and Ron Hansen in 1968....twice in the same season.
10/19/2012 2:26 AM
How about the Angels as a possibility?  Not a great hitter's park, but a good, big market team that's added big, back-loaded contracts.  A-Rod for Vernon Wells isn't far from a fair deal.  If they viewed A-Rod as a reasonably good fielder at third I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.
10/19/2012 10:46 AM
Everyone is ignoring the fact that A-Rod has a full no-trade clause and at least in his postgame interview after Game 4 he told the reporters that he won't be leaving NY.  I'm not saying he absolutely wouldn't accept a trade anywhere, but if I'm him I'm probably loathe to accept a move to the Cubs.  Would it be best for him to leave the Yankees?  Almost definitely.  But his pride might not allow it until he feels he has proven himself one more time in NY.

FWIW, he hasn't been better than a $6-$8M 3rd baseman, even when on the field, since 2009, arguably even 2008.  Jeter had about a year and a half down until he learned to adjust.  A-Rod has had at least 3 years of  increasing struggles with a slowing swing and has shown no inclination whatsoever to adjust his approach.  He needs to get shorter to the ball, try to hit it the opposite way with 2 strikes.  He can't catch up to a good fastball anymore, at least not to pull it in the air.  Until he accepts that fact he's never going to bounce back meaningfully.  I think this is another pride issue - he still thinks he should be A-Rod and should be able to turn on the inside fastball and punish pitchers for throwing it the way he used to when he was 28 and a stud.  He can't do it.  Until someone convinces him of that we'll see a lot of days like what he had in the playoffs, particularly against pitchers who throw as hard as the Tigers guys do.

10/19/2012 3:10 PM
What did you expect him to say?  "I'll accept a trade anywhere.  ******* Girardi sitting me in the playoffs?  **** him and NY!!"?

I think the Cubs are a player because A) homer happy  B) big stage  C) no playoff pressure  D) player support.     I think he leaked the Cubs to see if they were interested. 
10/19/2012 3:18 PM
In that case, why not Miami? Home town, no playoff pressure, bigger headaches than him (see Ozzie and Bell), etc.
10/19/2012 3:24 PM
Less of a homer haven.   A-Rod wants the all-time record.  He's not getting it in LA, other LA, Miami or NY.
10/19/2012 3:25 PM
The Cubs aren't dumb enough to take on that behemoth contract, even if the Skanks eat a big chunk of it. The Soriano/Dumpster etc ones were enough. They're not even trying to contend the next coupla years anyway, when Gayrod will presumably be at his best. This thread is retarded.
10/19/2012 5:30 PM
THEO IS DUMB ENOUGH TO DO IT
10/19/2012 5:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/19/2012 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Less of a homer haven.   A-Rod wants the all-time record.  He's not getting it in LA, other LA, Miami or NY.
Let's not kid ourselves, he's not getting it anywhere.  He'd still need to average 23 over the last 5 years of his contract (unless he signs another one for his age 42 season...)  That's not a ton, but it's more than he got either of the last 2 years.  Do I think he could hit 23 this season?  Yeah, he might be able to hit 30.  But in the likely event he can only get to around 12 or 15 the last 2 seasons of the contract it still doesn't come out high enough.  Frankly, if he's going to have any shot at it I don't think it's going to come in the National League.  He absolutely is going to need to become primarily a DH to have any chance to stay on the field often enough to make a legitimate run at Bonds.
10/19/2012 5:46 PM
Posted by Ox on 10/19/2012 10:46:00 AM (view original):
How about the Angels as a possibility?  Not a great hitter's park, but a good, big market team that's added big, back-loaded contracts.  A-Rod for Vernon Wells isn't far from a fair deal.  If they viewed A-Rod as a reasonably good fielder at third I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.
yes-the halos would love to be rid of Wells, and they need a 3B-doubt the Yanks have any use for Wells, though
10/19/2012 8:28 PM
Replacing Swisher?
10/19/2012 8:43 PM
DEAL OFF!!!!!

Because A-Rod is having surgery in JANUARY, despite having played his last game in OCTOBER, that will keep him out til JUNE.

12/4/2012 11:16 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
A-Rod to Cubs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.