(2010-2020 +) $100 Million Auction (7 in) Topic

$100 Million Auction League

Do you think you’ve got what it takes to be a successful GM and field a winning team?  Here’s your chance to Draft your team from scratch & run it your way.  (*thanks to epup1975 & Beernoser for giving me the general concept of this League)

* 24 team League.
* Up to 40 Rostered Players per team.

* (AAA) of your 40 man Roster ONLY- no fake players.
* NL- no DH.  AL yes to DH with a normal 4 game inter-league crossover.
* Pick a City/Stadium upon signup. 
(I will pick last)
* 40 LIVE games minimum to make the Playoffs.  Playoffs must be played LIVE.
* $50 admin bonus after the 2014 season will be split between the 2 owners who've played the most games LIVE.

Phase I- 2010 Initial Player Silent Auction
We will start with the 2010 season.  Everyone has $100 million to Bid on a Roster of up to 40 players.
I will take all of the WIS database players from 2010 and post 60 or so players alphabetically by position each day.  (The auction should last about 20 days)  Everyone can bid on these players by sending me a Silent Auction Sitemail listing the guys they want to bid on and how much you are bidding.  The lowest bid/salary allowable will be in increments of $100K ($100,000).  The highest bid sent each day wins that player.  The deadline each day will be midnight (EST).  I will then post the winning bids in the Auction Forum every night, hopefully before 1am (EST) unless I'm out getting drunk & then I'll post it as soon as I can when I get back, lol.  To keep me honest, I will send my bids a day ahead of time to joshkvt.  Using Excel, I will keep meticulous track of everyone’s Roster with Cash Spent & Cash Available in a separate thread to make it easy for everyone to keep track of what you’ve spent so far and how much you’ve got left to spend.  You must field at least 25 players, so if you spend too much too soon, you will be limited to $100,000 bids only on as many spots up to 25 your salary cap will allow.  If you have enough cash- you can Draft up to 40 players.

Phase 2-  Assign Contract Lengths

Once the Auction is over, we evaluate our players and assign contract lengths.  The minimum contract for any player would be 1 year, the maximum contract length will be 5 YEARS.  However much you won your player for will be their salary for the duration of the contract you decide to assign them to.  If for example you won Justin Verlander for $18.5 million and wanted to sign him to a 5 year deal, he would make $18.5 million of your $100 million budget in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.  **IF A PLAYER gets INJURED or is missing a WIS database season that you have him signed to, you are still liable for his contract salary that season, and he will still count against your 40 man Roster, just like in real life.  You can outright release a player to free up a Roster spot, making him a free agent, but you will still be liable for that player's salary.   *Tied bids will be held over and included in the next day’s list of players.  Players receiving NO Bids will be run out at the very end of the Auction for guys that may need filler players or want to take a flier on a player.  I would like to see contracts assigned within 10 days of the Auction ending. 

Phase 3- 2010 & Beyond
All NEW database players that become available 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 ect. WIS databases will be free agents along with all players whose contracts have expired, so going into each new season we will once have silent auction bidding on new players each season.

TRADES
Trades WILL be allowed, both before the season and during the season, but both teams involved in any trades MUST stay at or under the $100 million Salary Cap.  Also, all teams must not exceed the 40 Rostered player maximum.  You may outright release a player to make Roster room- but you will still be liable for the remainder of that player's contract against your anual $100 million budget for the duration of that player's contract.

11/12/2012 8:05 PM (edited)
(* for allignment- we'll keep things as close to real life as possible)

(1)  toddleduc- TBD
(2)  joshkvt-  TBD
(3)  szczubelek- TBD

(4)  leeelci-  St. Louis
(5)  eman7400
(6)  BastanRedsox- TBD
(7)  harrelson- City Field, New York
(8)
(9)
(10)
(11)
(12) 
(13)
(14)
(15) 
(16)
(17)
(18) 
(19)
(20)
(21)
(22)
(23)
(24)

Sitemail List-
toddleduc; joshkvt; szczubelek; leeelci; eman7400; BastanRedsox

11/8/2012 2:43 AM (edited)
In, of course
10/28/2012 4:31 PM
good deal, josh- we'll see if we get 24 guys with enough balls to do this...
We're doing a good 2012 version forward run by Beernoser over on the "Non LIVE" side.
Another thought is to do this concept from the inceptionof Free Agency... someone fill me in on When Free Agency became the norm? I know Curt Flood has a big hand in it, but I'm too lazy to read up on it right now...

Beernoser's Daily Auction Forum

10/28/2012 4:36 PM
I'm in
10/28/2012 5:50 PM

Despite his outstanding playing career, Flood's principal legacy developed off the field. He believed that Major League Baseball's decades-old reserve clause was unfair in that it kept players beholden for life to the team with which they originally signed, even when they had satisfied the terms and conditions of those contracts.

On October 7, 1969, the Cardinals traded Flood, Tim McCarver, Byron Browne, and Joe Hoerner to the Philadelphia Phillies for Dick Allen, Cookie Rojas, and Jerry Johnson. Flood refused to report to the moribund Phillies, citing the team's poor record and dilapidated Connie Mack Stadium, and its belligerent—and, he felt, racist—fans. Some reports say he was also irritated that he had learned of the trade from a reporter;[7] but Flood wrote in his autobiography that he was told by midlevel Cardinals management and was angry that the call did not come from the general manager.[8] He met with Phillies general manager John Quinn, who left the meeting believing that he had persuaded Flood to report to the team.[8] Flood stood to forfeit a lucrative $100,000 ($598,458 as of 2012)[9] contract if he did not report; but after a meeting with players' union head Marvin Miller,[10] who informed him that the union was prepared to fund a lawsuit, he decided to pursue his legal options.[3]

In a letter to Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, Flood demanded that the commissioner declare him a free agent:

December 24, 1969
After twelve years in the major leagues, I do not feel I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.
It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract offer from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decision. I, therefore, request that you make known to all Major League clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season.[3][8]

Flood was influenced by the events of the 1960s that took place in the United States. According to Marvin Miller, Flood told the executive board of the players' union, "I think the change in black consciousness in recent years has made me more sensitive to injustice in every area of my life." However, he added that what he was doing in challenging the reserve clause was primarily as a major league ballplayer.[11]

Flood v. Kuhn

Main article: Flood v. Kuhn

Commissioner Kuhn denied Flood's request for free agency, citing the propriety of the reserve clause and its inclusion in Flood's 1969 contract. In January 1970 Flood filed a $1 million lawsuit against Kuhn and Major League Baseball, alleging violation of federal antitrust laws.[citation needed] Even though Flood was making $90,000 at the time,[1] he likened the reserve clause to slavery; it was a controversial analogy, even among those who opposed the reserve clause.[citation needed] Among those testifying on his behalf were former players Jackie Robinson and Hank Greenberg, and former owner Bill Veeck; no active players testified, nor did any attend the trial. Although players' union representatives had voted unanimously to support Flood, rank-and-file players were strongly divided, with many fervently supporting the management position.[3]

Flood v. Kuhn (407 U.S. 258) eventually went before the Supreme Court. Flood's attorney, former Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg, asserted that the reserve clause depressed wages and limited players to one team for life. Major League Baseball's counsel countered that Commissioner Kuhn had acted "for the good of the game."[citation needed]

Ultimately the Supreme Court, invoking the principle of stare decisis ("to stand by things decided"), ruled 5-3 in favor of Major League Baseball, citing as precedent a 1922 ruling in Federal Baseball Club v. National League (259 U.S. 200). Justice Lewis Powell recused himself owing to his ownership of stock in Anheuser-Busch, which owned the Cardinals.[3]

In 1970 the owners and the MLBPA agreed to the "10/5 Rule" (sometimes called the "Curt Flood Rule"), which allows players with ten years of Major League service, the last five with the same team, to veto any trade.[12]

Aftermath and post-baseball life

Flood sat out the entire 1970 season.[3] The Cardinals sent two minor leaguers to the Phillies in compensation for Flood's refusal to report. One of them—centerfielder Willie Montañez—went on to a 14-year major league career. In November 1970 the Phillies traded Flood and four other players to the Washington Senators. He signed a $110,000 contract with Washington but played only 13 games of the 1971 season, with a .200 batting average and lackluster play in center field. Former teammate Gibson later wrote that Flood once returned to his locker to find a funeral wreath on it.[citation needed] Despite manager Ted Williams's vote of confidence, Flood retired. He had a lifetime batting average of .293 with 1861 hits, 85 home runs, 851 runs, and 636 RBIs.

Later that year Flood published a memoir entitled The Way It Is in which he spelled out in detail his argument against the reserve clause.[6] Four years later, in what is now remembered as the Seitz decision, arbitrator Peter Seitz ruled that since pitchers Andy Messersmith and Dave McNally played for one season without a contract, they were entitled to become free agents. The ruling essentially nullified the reserve clause and opened the door to widespread free agency.

10/28/2012 5:50 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cool Steve, man !  Thanks for the history lesson...   Not sure if this League or any other like it will have any traction, but I like the concept Beernoser is running... just would like more lee-way in trades (obviously based on my current situation, lol) and like the $100 million idea as it's more lifelike.
10/29/2012 11:52 AM
I'm in
National league
St. Louis
10/30/2012 11:01 PM
Im in
Im in  jrnyfans version  its only a yearly league no contracts lots of fun you become a scout of prospects and hope they develop and would have joined beernosers but I was never a fan of the large raises in order to keep a player I like your version way better

10/31/2012 12:32 AM
cool - glad to have you lee & eman !
10/31/2012 8:40 PM
I'll jump in Todd.
11/1/2012 1:43 PM
good deal, Dusty !  Could be a really cool League & so far we have some great owners in here...
Come on down !
11/1/2012 7:28 PM
Put me in Citi Field (NY NL). 

I can see this is going to be time consuming, but it looks to be the real deal.  I'm looking forward to it.  Is $100 mill your total payroll for your 40 man roster or the 25 you take the field with?
11/7/2012 10:13 AM
Hey harrelson & welcome ! 
The $100 mil covers the 40 man Roster - but I do want to specify that it's Auction money- not WIS salaries.
Not sure if this will sell to 24 LIVE owners- but if not, I'll bring the $100 mil concept over to non-Live and maybe turn back the clock and start it in 2001 perhaps...

11/8/2012 2:42 AM
bump
11/13/2012 8:22 PM
(2010-2020 +) $100 Million Auction (7 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.