I don't think he's a first round pick if he doesn't play CFB again.   Two knee injuries in two seasons isn't a good thing for RB.   Teams can't afford to miss on 1st rounders.   IMO, his best option is a couple of 20 carry games at the end of 2013 if he's recovered.   If he can't play at all in 2013, I'm not sure what the best course of action would be for 2014.   If he can find out if he'd be a 2nd/3rd rounder in 2014, probably going pro then would be the best bet.
11/5/2012 8:41 AM
It's obviously better for his draft stock if he comes back and can play effectively.  Whether he does or not would depend on whether he sees it as worth the risk of a) getting hurt again, or b) potentially demonstrating that he can't play effectively.

I just don't think the length of his lay-off will be an issue one way or the other, because he's not Maurice Clarett, in a number of important ways.
11/5/2012 9:06 AM
Yeah, comparing him to Clarett isn't right. 

Lattimore isn't the fastest back or the strongest back.   A lot of what he does relies on vision and cuts.   He's not going to run a 4.35 or bench 225 twenty three times at a combine.   I think he has to prove he can still make the cuts in a game situation.     But, then again, Tebow proved you don't have to have the interest of 32 teams to go in the first round.   It only takes one.
11/5/2012 10:59 AM
With two knee injuries I think he is going to have prove he is healthy.  Of course Sam Bradford got hurt multiple times and was the #1 pick in the draft so who the hell really knows.
11/5/2012 3:09 PM
with 2 knee injuries he is a fool if he plays anymore college ball.  he should get healthy and wait for the nfl, playing college is too much of a risk
11/5/2012 3:13 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/5/2012 3:13:00 PM (view original):
with 2 knee injuries he is a fool if he plays anymore college ball.  he should get healthy and wait for the nfl, playing college is too much of a risk
I don't disagree with this, I just meant if he wanted to be a first round pick, I think he would have to prove himself.  There isn't a chance in hell I would play college ball again if I was in his position.
11/5/2012 3:33 PM
There's a lot of difference between 1st round money and 3rd round money.    With a short career anyway, I'd take the risk in CFB if that meant the difference in draft position.
11/5/2012 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/5/2012 4:31:00 PM (view original):
There's a lot of difference between 1st round money and 3rd round money.    With a short career anyway, I'd take the risk in CFB if that meant the difference in draft position.
There is, but there isn't nearly as much difference as there used to be with the new first round contract rules.
11/5/2012 4:33 PM
He might even be better to go to the Supplemental Draft.

11/5/2012 4:56 PM
For the sake of comparison, Frank Gore had a couple of knee injuries in his sophomore year.  He sat out a year and played parts of his junior/senior seasons.  The 49ers got him in the late 3rd round.

He's worked out OK.
11/5/2012 5:19 PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (November 8, 2012) -- University of South Carolina junior running back Marcus Lattimore underwent successful surgery on Friday, November 2, team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy confirmed today.
Lattimore had several ligaments surgically repaired in his right knee by a team of physicians in Birmingham, Ala. Lattimore’s surgery was a collaborative effort between USC team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy, Dr. Lyle Cain, and USC team consultant Dr. James Andrews.  He returned to Columbia over the weekend and was released from a local hospital on Monday. Lattimore is in good spirits and has already begun the rehabilitation process. At this time, there are no plans for further surgery, according to Dr. Guy.

Brought in the big gun for ligament repair.
11/9/2012 3:09 PM
Saw on saturdays broadcast that he would be back playing at SC in 2014 (I was surprised at the 2014 date). Just shows how devastating it was. My guess-the first knee rehab went well at SC, he wants to do it again at SC, with the doctors and facilities that has already passed the test.

I'm wondering about the kneecap. There was a female U.S. olympic gymnast that dislocated her kneecap a year ago (I believe), and the knee just looked weird at this years comp.
11/12/2012 3:13 AM
They said Saturday that it was the exact same injury as McGahee.   They also said they thought two surgeries would be necessary but everything is complete after 1.
11/12/2012 8:10 AM
Entering the 2013 draft.   
12/10/2012 3:34 PM
Gotta figure he'll be a 3rd rounder even with the injuries. Moderate risk, high reward.
12/10/2012 5:34 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.