Two Man Band (Round 2 started) Topic

So, it's been about 15 months since the last 2 man band was brutally killed. The reason being that someone used Babe Ruth and destroyed everyones morale on his way to winning the world series. I propose in this new, totally rebooted season, that he be banned, but i'll only ban him if enough people agree.

Anyway, on to the rules.

Who is REALLY the best player in the history of the game?

What if one man had to play all eight fielding positions? Would a team full of Babe Ruths dominate if Ruth had to catch and play shortstop? And what about one pitcher? Would you take 3000 innings of a deadballer, or a dozen seasons by a closer?

If we get to season 2, there will be a blacklist. Anyone who is used this season will not be available in the next. The 2 players that win the world series will be blacklisted for 3 seasons.

The roster rules for this league are absurdly simple ... You only get TWO players (one position player and one pitcher), and you will use 10-15 different seasons for each of them to make your team. The first round of the draft is first come, first served … but the second round is in inverse order, so if you take the first player chosen you'll get the 24th pitcher (or vice versa). I will pick 12th. Salary cap is set to the maximum possible.

If you want to choose two players who combine for less than 25 sim eligible seasons, you may. But you'll have to fill the roster with dead weight 200k players of my choosing ... iron gloves and poor control assured ... and set them all to rest to minimize the chance that Sparky will look for a bit of variety in a blowout.

There is no AA or waiver wire. Also, no clones. There is a DH. The salary cap will be set for 255 million, which is near impossible to actually hit in this league. Even the Babe Ruth team fell well short. As far as ballparks go, there is no ballpark restriction.

10/31/2012 9:29 PM (edited)
Hitters Taken: Honus Wagner, Ed Delahanty, Jimmie Foxx, Rogers Hornsby, Ty Cobb, Nap Lajoie, Lou Gehrig, Billy Hamilton, Sir Lord Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Cap Anson, Paul Molitor, Chipper Jones, Tris Speaker, Albert Pujols, Rickey Henderson, Joe Morgan, Ichiro, Hugh Duffy, George Sisler, Mel Ott, Tim Raines, Ivan Rodriguez, George Sisler

Pitchers Taken: Addie Joss, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Ed Walsh, Cy Young, Pete Alexander, Mordecai Brown, Roger Clemens, Tim Keefe, Sandy Koufax, Babe Adams, John Clarkson, Lefty Grove, Eddie Plank, Curt Schilling, Eddie Cicotte, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Rube Waddell, Robin Roberts, Carl Hubbell, Don Sutton

Round 2 draft order:

1. ratioman - Rickey Henderson, Mordecai Brown
2. timetoplay5 - Albert Pujols, Roger Clemens
3. elduro25 - Pete Alexander, Joe Morgan
4. coolmay_one - Tris Speaker, Tim Keefe
5. flakfizer - Chipper Jones, Sandy Koufax
6. frank_drebin - Paul Molitor, Babe Adams
7. sakensei - Cap Anson, John Clarkson
8. dodgebob - Cy Young, Ichiro
9. tjefferson - Ed Walsh, Craig Biggio
10. yargespd1  Ted Williams, Lefty Grove
11. fatboydad54 - Sir Lord Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling
12. ThaneOfFife - Billy Hamilton, Eddie Plank
13. JMC44 - Lou Gehrig, Eddie Cicotte
14. mac195 - Nap Lajoie, Randy Johnson
15. ejstockman - Ty Cobb, Tom Seaver
16. Vindex24 - Rogers Hornsby, Rube Waddell
17. msheaf1 - Jimmie Foxx, Robin Roberts
18. Calhoop - Pedro Martinez, Hugh Duffy
19. Rickysdad44 - Greg Maddux, George Sisler
20. Hurkman - Christy Mathewson, Mel Ott
21. go_pre - Walter Johnson, Ivan Rodriguez,
22. Trenchfoot - Addie Joss, Tim Raines
23. pmars2001: Ed Delahanty, Carl Hubbell
24. Bottomlee: Honus Wagner, Don Sutton

Waiting list: Impala1955

11/12/2012 6:44 PM (edited)
I'm back in.  Honus Wagner.  I vote to keep Ruth out. He did kind of kill it last time
10/31/2012 10:10 PM
Ed Delahanty - no Ruth!
10/31/2012 11:07 PM
Addie Joss, and as the former owner of Babe Ruth, please ban him.
11/1/2012 2:27 PM
Jees, I dread this picking so early, I hope I can draft my 2nd player by TG or Xmas...   I'll take some old Dead-Baller pitcher - Walter Johnson, I guess?!  Who are these 200K players (that you pick) are thinking about, I am NOT going to need 10 WJ's?

NO Babes!  NO Babes!  NO Babes! - they chant emphatically!   (I feel like I just walked past an Alternative/Sexually Gender Challenged bar/picket line!)

11/1/2012 4:07 PM (edited)
I've got to try something like this out.  I'll take Christy Mathewson as my first pick.  Also, NO BABE.
11/2/2012 2:13 AM
Posted by go_pre on 11/1/2012 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Jees, I dread this picking so early, I hope I can draft my 2nd player by TG or Xmas...   I'll take some old Dead-Baller pitcher - Walter Johnson, I guess?!  Who are these 200K players (that you pick) are thinking about, I am NOT going to need 10 WJ's?

NO Babes!  NO Babes!  NO Babes! - they chant emphatically!   (I feel like I just walked past an Alternative/Sexually Gender Challenged bar/picket line!)

Those 200kers are only an issue if you pick a pitcher with not enough usable seasons. Walter has more than enough.
11/2/2012 3:05 AM
Okay. I'll try this one out. I'll take Greg Maddux. And I'll stick with the consensus, no Babe.
11/2/2012 1:41 PM

I would like to be in with Pedro Martinez.            No Babe Ruth

11/2/2012 2:14 PM
BABE RUTH    ---- Just kidding, no Babe

Give me Jimmy Foxx.

I noticed it says no clones, itsn't this league by build a clone league?
11/2/2012 2:49 PM
Posted by msheaf1 on 11/2/2012 2:49:00 PM (view original):
BABE RUTH    ---- Just kidding, no Babe

Give me Jimmy Foxx.

I noticed it says no clones, itsn't this league by build a clone league?
Tdoak is the one who originally did this league, and he had that in there. I always took it to mean we couldn't use the same year of the player more than once.
11/2/2012 3:02 PM

In with Ty Cobb,  No Ruth is fine by me,

11/3/2012 12:32 AM
I'll take Nap Lajoie.
11/3/2012 1:18 AM
Posted by ejstockman on 11/3/2012 12:32:00 AM (view original):

In with Ty Cobb,  No Ruth is fine by me,

You're in for a wild ride, my friend. Read those box scores, I cannot explain to you just how fun they'll be.
11/3/2012 6:14 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Two Man Band (Round 2 started) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.