What is the key to winning yellow light battles with human players?  This is my 20th season, with good success (257-43 record to date). In my world, My school is the winningest program in the world. I've been at the school 7 years and my worst record has been 14-2.  But I win about 10% of my yellow light battles, no matter what I try.

Example:  my #1 player is 600 miles away.  He's in my vision and has been green lit the first 2 days; turns yellow on signing morning.  Each of the first 7 recruiting segments thereafter I either do a home visit or a campus visit.  I guarantee starting spot as sophomore-accepted.  I guarantee 50% playing time as freshman-accepted.  I spend, in total, 30% of my recruiting budget on this guy.  And lose him 1 day later.

The team that signed him was also 600 miles away.  The coach has been there 4 years.  The school is the 20th winningest program.

Same thing (different school/coach) happened last 2 seasons.  

What should I do different?
11/14/2012 9:42 AM
I'm no expert at recruiting, but you could try to do more than one coach visit/campus visit per cycle (or both a home visit and campus visit)
11/14/2012 10:00 AM
don't nickel and dime it by putting one CV or HV (actually, don't do HVs) in every cycle. Once he turns yellow, come over the top to push the other coach off. 3 - 4 - 5 CVs or more in one cycle. Also if you think enough of him to offer him freshman playing time, offer him a freshman start too.  

above all, and I've learned this lesson the hard way and still don't follow it from time to time, know when to cut your losses and find a backup. as sparsely as the worlds are populated these days you can find a similar guy for less $$.
11/14/2012 10:01 AM

Hit him with multiple CVs, playing time offers, starting offers, all of it, in one cycle - probably the first one after he turns yellow. Remember to check first if you want to battle at all. If necessary, hit him with a couple of more CVs in the cycle where signings begin. If somebody goes yellow, you can usually turn him back quickly in that first cycle. If you cannot, remember to move on to someone else.

11/14/2012 11:03 AM
Thanks.
11/15/2012 9:43 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.