All: I'm looking to understand tempo better. Actually, I'm looking to understand the whole game better, but I'm trying to take it piece by piece.

I understand there is a general thought that if you have less talent you should slow it down to optimize the variance. If you have more talent, you would do the opposite.

This seems too simplistic to me. I've experimented a little with tempo on my Bentley team with varrying results, sometimes playing better in an uptempo game even though I have less talent.

Stamina is obviously a factor as well.

If there is someone out there who has a good grasp on tempo, could you please sitemail me or post your thoughts here.

Thanks in advance.
11/14/2012 4:44 PM
Tempo is a way of maximizing possesions.  When you go slow down you can will limit your opponents opportunity to score points.  If you can keep the game close you have a better chance at an upset.  When you play uptempo, it is generally because you think you have a major advantage in the game and you want to increase the number of possessions and scoring opportunities.  Here's the catch, if you are a team that fouls a lot then playing uptempo may be trouble.  Just like scoring opportunities, there are more opportunities for your team to foul, so if you have a short bench, this may not be a good option, ever.

As far as stamina is concerned, playing slowdown will maximize the number of minutes your starters can play.  So when you have a decisive advantage in the game, but that advantage is with your starters, playing slowdown would keep them on the floor for more minutes.

11/14/2012 5:12 PM
Tempo is generally the best way to equalize against opponents. Against a more talented team, you'll generally want to slow down. If they play a press, sometimes playing at normal will allow you to use their aggressiveness against them. Watch to see if they usually play uptempo in the press. If they do, playing normal will give you the chance to put their players in foul trouble. In general, you should gameplan with your tempo and your + - to equalize your disadvantages and minimize the other teams playing strengths.
11/15/2012 12:03 AM

I would recommend not going uptempo against teams with good defense.

11/15/2012 12:22 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.