Coaching Positions - Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky Topic

I think the only person they haven't spoken to is Petrino.  They may as well bite the bullet, let him hire an assistant he can bone and get on with recruiting.
12/6/2012 2:37 PM
I'm surprised Philip Fulmer is only 62. Could crawl back to him. At least he can keep Tennessee on the ESPN radar with all the arrests his players get.
12/6/2012 2:54 PM
I am willing to coach Tenn for the right price.
12/6/2012 3:01 PM
Bieliema mentioned that he kept losing assistant coaches because other schools were willing to pay a lot more. He said he had guys he couldnt go above 240k to that were getting twice that elsewhere... the coordinators at Mich and Ohio St are both making 775k.
12/6/2012 3:03 PM
I think TN is discovering that they're not a "destination" job anymore.

With GA, FL, SC on the up and Vandy showing signs of life, TN has a tough row to hoe.   Especially if MO figures out a way to get the players they need in the SEC.  KY and TN might be looking up in the standings for a long time.    I believe they were hoping Kiffin/Dooley could bring some youth and life to a stagnant program.  Instead, Kiffin took the first flight out and Dooley proved to be in over his head.    There has to be a "Chip Kelly" down in FBS looking for a shot.  TN has to find him.  
12/6/2012 3:04 PM
I think Dooley got a raw deal in TN. Flulmer ran the program into the ground, and Kiffin didn't help matters. Dooley was put in a position without much chance of succeeding. If you go by his record there, he did a miserable job, but if you followed the program at all, you know that the team improved significantly over the past coupla years. Then were in a lot of games against vastly superior opponents until late, but always found a way to lose. Of course, you can argue that's his fault, but the team just didn't have the athletes to succeed. Plus, he wasn't around long enough to field a team that he recruited. He had to work with what was already there, and managed to play competitively most of the time. I think the late-season losses to Mizzou & especially Vandy were his undoing, but I bet the program is already wishing they had kept him for next year, even if he started 2013 "on thin ice."
12/6/2012 5:58 PM

His recruiting classes were nothing special.  Of course, that doesn't mean the players won't be great but he wasn't bringing in the big catches either.

12/6/2012 7:29 PM
I'll take your word on that, as I don't follow recruiting. I still think he got the shaft, though.
12/6/2012 7:48 PM
I double-checked to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ***.  I was.    His three classes were all top 25.  The first two just haven't produced on the field.  Which, again, goes back to "that doesn't mean". 

FWIW, I think he got the shaft too.   But the SEC isn't very tolerant.  Richt has been on the hot seat for about 4 years.   I have no idea why.   Les Miles gets a ton of ****.  I have no idea why.  And, as you can see, just about all of them that missed bowls are seeking a coach.
12/6/2012 8:12 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/6/2012 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Butch Jones has apparently rejected Colorado's offer.  He is rumored to be a top candidate at both Wisconsin and Tennessee.
looks like Tennessee finally found their man

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8723192/tennessee-volunteers-hire-butch-jones-new-coach

12/7/2012 10:07 AM
Tommy Tuberville taking over for Jones at Cincinnati.
12/8/2012 3:36 PM
Posted by moranis on 12/8/2012 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Tommy Tuberville taking over for Jones at Cincinnati.
This is pretty huge. A Big 12 coach leaving for the Big East?
12/8/2012 10:48 PM

The UC AD and Tuberville are old friends from their days at Auburn together.  Plus, look at where the last 3 UC coaches have ended up, I would say coaching at UC might be attractive to someone looking to step up to a bigger program.  There are no secrets that Tubberville was very frustrated with TXTech

12/9/2012 1:33 AM
looks like Gary Anderson is leaving Utah St. for Wisconsin.  Since they've already had their bowl, I imagine he will have some capacity at the Rose Bowl though it would seem Alvarez is still set to coach the game.
12/19/2012 8:50 AM
When I first saw that headline I was hoping it was the kicker.
12/19/2012 11:27 AM
◂ Prev 123
Coaching Positions - Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.