Back-up SS question? Topic

Glove or bat at BU SS?

My everyday SS is JimDarwin.  He's won 3 of he last 5 GG's, had 29 + plays last year, and has a very consistent .680-ish bat with about 15 homers.  He gets 144 starts every year, on the average.

MY BU SS has been BennyScharein.  Decent glove (4 + plays in 700 career SS innings) = .968/5.33.  But most of his appearance are as a defensive late-inning OF.

My current pet player is DustySalmon.  Plays everywhere, has some pop, love the Makeup, hits at a .752 career rate.  85/77/80/84 glove.
He will start the 1st 20 games at 3B, until I bring up a AAA guy...then he will be my BU 3B and 2B, getting a start every tenth game, or so, at each position.  I like having a versatile positional player who doesn't kill me with the bat.

So my question is....If I make him my BU SS, as well.....should I be pretty comfortable with his glove there.  I generally like glovey SS's.  He has 400 career SS innings.  .934/4.75 with no +'s or -'s.  The - part surprises me.  I suppose his range is fine and his glove shows up in the .934

Anyway, I think I've talked myself into Salmon.  What say you?
11/20/2012 12:37 PM
If you tried to spread Salmon's starts to your more flyball-prone SPs, all the better.

He's a really good 2B/3B glove, but he won't kill you at SS if you compare to the recs (80/85/85/85).

I just wouldn't throw him out there in a game you need to have, cuz you know that'll be a 3-error game for sure.
11/20/2012 12:42 PM
I think Salmon's a little better overall than Scharein.  If you go that road, I would list Darwin as a defensive replacement at SS and rest him just a touch more often so that you get Darwin in at the end of close games when he's not the starter.
11/20/2012 12:57 PM
Hadn't thought about that dedelman.  That makes great sense.
11/20/2012 1:03 PM
Sneaky!  I like it!
11/20/2012 1:34 PM
Back-up SS question? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.