Advice - Best path to move up? Topic

Got a quick question for some of the more experienced GD guys. There's always a million threads out there discussing recruiting advice, gameplanning advice, etc., but I couldn't really find anything with advice on when to move up, and what the best situations are to step into if you're looking for the ever elusive Elite program as a long term goal.

I just won my first national championship in DIAA at Tennessee-Martin in Warner. I was hoping to move up to D1 and get a good BCS job that opened up, but the ONLY team that came open was Oregon (meh). I'm not a fan of recruiting in that area.

My (very) long-term goal is to get to an Elite. What is the best route for me to take at this point to get there? Should I:

A - take a non-BCS school that I think could turn into something good based on location/not as tough competition?
B - take a sucky BCS school and try to turn it into something good, but face tougher competition and possibly not as good a record as the option above?
C - stick with Tennessee-Martin another year and hope something better becomes available next year?

As a side question (not sure anyone knows the answer to this - but could be related), Does the impact of this year's national championship begin to "fade" as far as applying to new jobs in the future? For example, I always read about the past 3 or 5 years impacting recruiting vision, etc. Is the job market the same way? Will the national championship mean more right now (when applying for jobs) than it would 5 years from now? Or is that a static thing that will always impact my resume the same amount?
11/20/2012 1:46 PM (edited)
Most recent seasons weigh the most.

I don't think it matters much whether you are at a non-BCS or BCS school as long as you are finishing near the top each season.  Jumping from 1aa to an Elite will be more difficult, although not impossible, IMO.
11/20/2012 2:09 PM
I have 3 teams and all 3 are Elites (Yost - USC, Bryant - Miami, and Stagg - Tennessee). I used to also have Nebraska much earlier in Stagg before deciding to drop down to D2 for the fun of it. I got to USC by doing well at Arizona State, Miami by doing well at California, Tennessee by doing well at SDSU and got to Nebraska by doing well at Kent State.

So twice from another BCS team and twice from a non-BCS. From a non-BCS, I racked up 14 or so win seasons and CC's for 3 to 4 years straight. This is probably the easiest path to getting an Elite. Pick a non-BCS team that you can recruit like a monster from or cherry pick one that is already racking up CC's.

From a BCS, it's harder as typically you are battling better teams and coaches to stack big winning seasons and CC's.

In sum, you need to put yourself in position to put up huge win #'s, solid WIS rankings and CC's.
11/20/2012 2:29 PM
That's kinda what I was seeing...it seems like the dominant non-bcs route is the route most taken.
11/20/2012 2:31 PM
What about as you go from DIII to DII and so on.
11/20/2012 3:02 PM
Your best bet is to move D1A and just keep winning games because established D1A coaches will have the advantage over D1AA coaches in getting elite school because of wins on D1A level, unless you have multiple championships and lack of interest in the job from D1A coaches. 
11/20/2012 3:09 PM
If you can get to a winning D1A program (even 8-6 would be okay)  

Biggest thing is when you get there don't go for super soft scheduling, made that mistake and then moved back down to D1AA because I went 11-2 and didn't make a bowl.  Lesson learned, ha.
11/20/2012 10:32 PM
Trombumpet-that's interesting so its not like lower levels where an easy schedule is beneficial ???
11/21/2012 9:53 PM
Posted by jfootball88 on 11/21/2012 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Trombumpet-that's interesting so its not like lower levels where an easy schedule is beneficial ???
Well in both cases it is a balance. You want to get teams you can beat, but not the worst teams out there. BTW are you watching my post count?
11/22/2012 12:43 AM
I'm going for it all caesari!!!
11/22/2012 1:12 AM
make the jump to a Big East school,  you can build them up on an even footing with the rest of the conf and win CCs easier than the B10 or SEC. 

on a side note ONLY go to a B10 or SEC school if thats your final destination,  4 elites makes it a tough road to hoe
11/23/2012 12:46 AM
Advice - Best path to move up? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.