Demotion penalty before Spring Training Topic

I am on an iPad and unable to post player links, but I demoted a player during the PM2 cycle after a Rule V draft and he took a hefty demotion penalty. I had always thought that any demotion before Spring Training was penalty-free, and uncertain whether this is known to others I decided to post it: apparently demotions must be completed before the Rule V roster freeze, or maybe they can be pending during the roster freeze, I will have to tst that some time.
11/24/2012 12:47 PM
I always figure any demotion risks a penalty.  When it doesn't happen I figure I got away with one.
11/25/2012 9:45 PM
I think demotion penalties have a lot to do with an individual player's patience and make-up ratings, maybe even his age and previous level (how many levels he was demoted).
12/17/2012 10:00 AM
OK before rule 5 freeze, not OK after rule 5.  Not sure how a demotion can be "pending;" if you DFA him before rule V and assign him to minors after the rosters unfreeze then he's demoted afterward, no?
12/17/2012 2:42 PM
A first year HBD player here, but it seems like the  younger guys I gave more playing time in spring training to see what they were about the higher their ratings went?  Is that how it works?
12/17/2012 5:45 PM
Posted by dedelman on 12/17/2012 2:42:00 PM (view original):
OK before rule 5 freeze, not OK after rule 5.  Not sure how a demotion can be "pending;" if you DFA him before rule V and assign him to minors after the rosters unfreeze then he's demoted afterward, no?
Totally forgot about this thread. I meant, if you forget to demote a guy before spring training and then put the roster move in during the day of the freeze, and then it is processed after the freeze. But now thinking about it, that makes no sense.
12/18/2012 8:00 PM
I usually wait until just after ST, when you can prepare for season and they never get a demotion penalty.
12/20/2012 10:46 AM
Yeah, that's bad advice.
12/20/2012 2:14 PM
Probably goes without saying, but because of the ratings hit after the Rule V, you shouldn't promote anyone to the Majors during ST unless you're certain they're going to stick. Even then, wait until after ST ends, as you never know if a better option might come along via FA, trade or wiavers. This keeps your options open. They can play every day without being on the 25 man as long as they're on the ST roster.
12/28/2012 11:47 PM
Demotion penalty before Spring Training Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.