Open League Roster Choosing... Topic

I've played about 1100 games in open leagues.  I've noticed a lot of "team copying" and rosters with the same several players over and over.  In an effort to combat the norm,  I'd like to solicit baseball fans on this forum for their ideas.  What works best for you?  Home run hitters in Coors with mediocre pitching, base stealers, high average guys, top pitching split with bargain hitters, etc...  What formula do you use to compile an open league roster.  I'd prefer to stay away from 3 men staffs with the likes of Joss, and hitters that all teams seem to use like Roberts, Fernandez, etc...  What do you think?
11/28/2012 4:12 PM
Personally, my favorite OL strategy is LH power hitters in Yankee III who have ~500 (or less) PA, and then I use a couple of RH high AVG hitters (around 200-300 PA) and my AAA as their platoon partners. I couple them with one 450+ IP pitcher and either  3-4 115-140 IP starters, or a couple of 200-225 IP starters.

Hitters typically include '00 Donlin, '18 Cruise, '18 Ruth (or '22, '25 or '34), '79 Summers, etc...
11/28/2012 4:33 PM
if you're looking to get more of a "unique" game - I would suggest looking into progressive leagues.  They have all sorts of different kinds -and different start up years - but it guarantees that no team will have the same player.  
11/28/2012 4:38 PM
I think there are a lot of players you can draft that will play well to their strengths, outside of the Roberts, Cravaths and Gary Carters. Ballpark is very important.

That being said, it does seem there are certain players that perform well no matter where you put them.
11/29/2012 4:36 AM
Open League Roster Choosing... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.