Dirt - Just 1 spot left; win a FREE SEASON! Topic

Greetings all, Dirt is about to head into its 24th season and I have a few teams looking for dedicated owners.  Currently there are 4 confirmed openings, but there may be a few more on the way if I don't hear back from previous owners.

Currently available franchises:

St Louis Browns   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season the Browns finished 81-81 and just 2 games out of first.  They don't have any large contracts on the books for next season, so with a deft free agent signing or two you could have them in the playoffs in year one.  Additionally they have a great AAA pitching staff including  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Larry Hooper and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Hideki Ogawa both of whom could step into the ML staff immediately.

Charlotte Knights   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season the Knights finished 77-85; 6 games out of first.  The Knights have slightly more payroll committed than the Browns but they also have two huge stars in  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Eduardo Perez and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Geraldo Hernandez.  This team has enough solid ML pitching to make a playoff push or to trade and build up the farm system, depending on your approach.  Charlotte has been claimed.

Cincinnati Crusaders  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season the Crusaders finished 73-89.  They are slightly further away than the previous two teams though if you look around Dirt you will see that almost all of the franchises are in good enough shape that they could become playoff contenders with just one or two moves.  The future is bright with  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Phil Crandall and his ML-ready bat and future ace  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Diego Carrera headlining the minor league system.  I made the playoffs last season and both of those guys, who are each just 21 years old, would be good enough to start for me this season were they mine.  Cincinnati is off the board.

Fargo Thundering Herd  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Fargo finished 56-106; the upshot to this, I suppose, is that they hold the #1 overall pick in next season's draft.  There is only one player under contract for over $2 million (he's making $5.2), so you will have the flexibility to mold this franchise as you see fit without having to be saddled down by bad contracts like some teams are.  Fargo has been claimed.

We did just have another team open up here:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  They are headlined by 25 year old ace  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Earl Mathews.  The AAA squad includes multiple ML-ready batters with  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Tateyama Ong leading the pack.  This team was 73-89 last season and is poised to make a return to the playoffs.  This franchise has been claimed.

Also available is  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  They were 79-83 last season and are poised to return to playoff glory.  Led by Ace  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Clarence Stein and 5x All star  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Clint Hayes, this franchise is ready for you to come in and win now; imagine being able to take home the "most improved team" free season award AND a world series title!  This franchise has been claimed.

I will update this with further teams if they become available.  If you're interested in one of these teams please contact me.

12/08:  If these fine franchises and fellow owners are not enough to entice you, they now come with two chances to win a gift card for a free season.  We will give away a $25 gift card to the two owners who improve their w/l record the most over this past season.

1/27/2013 11:21 AM (edited)
This is a great league.
12/2/2012 3:25 PM
I have 5 more teams available.  These were not listed earlier as I had not heard from their former owners and wanted to give everyone a chance to reclaim there teams.  The additional teams are as follows:

Milwaukee Mayhem  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Milwaukee was 66-96 while playing in the American League.  This team is highlighted by a GG winning RF and an All-star LF both just 25 years old.  As with several of Dirt's available teams there are some very good ML-ready arms at the AAA level, headlined here by  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Philip Easley and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ramon Kawakami.  Even the AA squad has a young power bat in  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: D'Angelo Maranon who could step into an ML lineup immediately.  In addition to those top prospects, Milwaukee also will have the #4 overall pick in next season's draft.  Milwaukee has been claimed.

Tampa Bay  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Tampa Bay finished 78-84 while playing in the AL.  This team is headlined by Gold Glove winning 3B  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Vasco Martinez and relief ace  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Abdullah Price.  Don't be fooled by Price's status as a reliever; Tampa Bay's former owner had mastered the technique of getting his most valuable reliever into the highest impact situations and as such they were more valuable than many top starters.

Jacksonville  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Jacksonville finished 62-100 while playing in the NL.  Jacksonville's biggest problem last year is that they were abandoned part way through the season.  We did find a temporary replacement owner, but by then the damage was already done.  The team itself is probably some high contact power hitters and a solid rotation already in place.  This team was poised to return to the post season last year and whoever takes them should be able to get them there again.  In addition to all of this, you will also be getting pick #2 in the draft.

Montgomery  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Montgomery finished 64-98 while playing in the NL  Montgomery is one of those rare franchises that spent all 23 seasons in the same city under the same owner.  As with Jacksonville there is more talent on this squad than the record indicates.  The big league squad lacks a bit in the offensive department, but they have an overabundance of quality arms; if you enjoy wheeling and dealing this may be the squad you're looking for.  You will also be receiving the 3rd overall pick in the draft.  Montgomery has been claimed.

Salem  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile:  Last season Salem finisehd 68-94 while playing in the NL.  The biggest asset here has to be  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Yunel Canseco; as a 21 year old rookie last season he won a gold glove in the outfield while also holding his own at the plate.  Or perhaps it's  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Junior Nieves Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Victor Rijo, and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Domingo Sosa; a trio of SP that would be the envy of many teams.  Salem will be getting pick #6 in next season's draft.  Salem has been claimed.
1/27/2013 11:22 AM (edited)
Great league, going through some transition. Join up now!
12/3/2012 12:55 PM
Season 24. 14 owners have been around for 9+ years, and 8 have been in for 22! I checked 3-4 other private leagues -- you won't find many with that kind of tenure. There is a real solid core of owners to this league. This is only my 5th year in this league myself, but the owner quality is obvious.
12/3/2012 9:24 PM

Joining Dirt won't grow any hair on your chest . . . but it will make you feel more like a man.

Just a man with a bald chest. Nothing wrong with that.

12/3/2012 10:18 PM
I ate dirt once.  I did not taste very good.  But this league makes me feel like a man baby.  A bald-chested, dirty man.
12/4/2012 3:30 PM
Sorry guys, missed my cue. Is this where i stick in my toilet humor?
12/4/2012 10:04 PM

Sure, have a seat. Enlighten us . . . 

12/5/2012 12:19 AM
Ok, coming to you straight as a javelin aimed for the porcelain throne:  (don't say I didn't warn you)

12/5/2012 8:23 PM
Now, if that fails to bring owners in, I'll be forced to insert "the Pillsbury doughboy" ...as my next submission.
12/5/2012 8:26 PM

I think I speak for all of us when I say "I don't even want to know what that means."

12/5/2012 9:48 PM

Dirt is the word

Have you heard?

Have you heard?

It's got groove, it's got feeling . . . 

12/8/2012 2:28 PM
We are now offering up free seasons to those who most improve their team.  See original post for full details.
12/8/2012 9:39 PM (edited)

2 chances out of 9 to win a free season?

And all I have to do is join Dirt?

Damn!!!!!!!!

I'm already an owner and therefore ineligible to win this prize of a lifetime.

Guess I'll have to let some other REALLY SMART owner pick up on this deal.

I knew I should have timed my entry into Dirt better!

12/8/2012 11:27 PM (edited)
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Dirt - Just 1 spot left; win a FREE SEASON! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.