It could be that they don't like to trade, or it could be because they have figured out their own formula for development patterns.  Those would be the two.
12/4/2012 1:43 PM (edited)
Posted by kevintam90 on 12/4/2012 10:24:00 AM (view original):
A lot of teams in my world have been putting 0 in scouting for a couple seasons. Just trying to figure out why some would do that
They're punting the draft.   I assume they have money in IFA or payroll in the 130s.  

The key is to remember that when you're going to 0, you're pushing all your chips to the middle of the table.   Getting out of the Zero Hole takes 3-4 seasons to get the number back to an acceptable level. 
12/4/2012 10:45 AM
Could be because of the world. They all have their own personality.
12/4/2012 12:57 PM
I guess I'm going to have to shift to 0 ADV to remain competitive. The problem with all of these sim-type games is that people find the loopholes. I hate the idea of no advanced scouting from a "this is as close to the real world as we can get" perspective, but from a budgetary perspective, it's going to be crucial.
12/4/2012 1:57 PM
The simplest way to put it is "If you're not trading for 2nd-3rd year players, you don't need it."
12/4/2012 2:09 PM
If it were close to the real world, ADV would have uses other than projecting ratings. In the real world it prepares pitchers, hitters and coaches for upcoming opponents, among other things. And there are plenty of loopholes to be exploited in RL as well; that's why MLB just took away the ability of teams to dump impending FA they don't need to stockpile draft picks.
12/4/2012 2:13 PM
Posted by mfahie on 12/4/2012 1:57:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'm going to have to shift to 0 ADV to remain competitive. The problem with all of these sim-type games is that people find the loopholes. I hate the idea of no advanced scouting from a "this is as close to the real world as we can get" perspective, but from a budgetary perspective, it's going to be crucial.
Why would you pay money to know "wow look at the good players this other team has!!"?  Like someone said earlier , people often want a king's ransom for their youngest prospects. 

Spend that money on developing your own players. 

12/4/2012 3:06 PM
I know this is pretty much comparing apples to oranges, but in the very rudimentary FCD soccer sim WIS has here, we have current player ratings but NO projections.  And it has been pretty much proven that player development is dependent on playing time plus hidden ratings.  That's right, it's kinda random and you don't really know if your stud rookie is going to become a superstar or plateau out for some unknown reason... all you can do is play them and find out.

Seems a hell of a lot more realistic than some made up advance rating, which makes me buy MikeT's assessment... the only reason Adv Scouting exists in this game looks like it was put in to fluff up trading.

12/4/2012 3:52 PM
If you're dumb enough to not know the guy you drafted with pick 17 isn't going to be better than the guy you drafted with pick 133, you might need it.   Or maybe you need to work on your mad drafting skilz. 
12/4/2012 4:17 PM
When you are learning the game I think ADV is useful.  Without it most players with less than 5 seasons would have no business trading players.  I have been playing for several years now and I am just getting comfortable enough making my own judgements to the point where I will be going down to 0 ADV. 
12/4/2012 10:38 PM
That is correct.   I think ADV is an excellent set of training wheels.
12/5/2012 8:44 AM
Absolutely.  I was a 20-Adv. guy (or at least 16) until I had probably close to 40 or 50 seasons, truth be told.

Edit:  Well, unless I was scrounging for payroll and had an expensive ML team, in which case I didn't care about other people's prospects.
12/5/2012 10:31 AM
Funny, people are arguing against air here. Nobody is arguing that in HBD you should use a high ADV. But it seems to be a flaw in the game. Obviously they're not going to change it, but ADV should affect how you see their current ratings as well as their projected. How can you have such accurate numbers for all these players with no scouts?
12/5/2012 3:39 PM
There have been many suggestions on how to improve ADV.

My most recent was ADV affected the projections of amatuer players(IFA/HS/Coll).     The current scouting budgets would only affect how many of those players you see. 
12/5/2012 4:48 PM
This is the biggest flaw in the game, and certainly the one I would most like to see addressed.  It truly gives those who understand fully the game and the ratings and how players progress a 10 to 20 million dollar advantage. 

12/5/2012 5:32 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.