Promised playing time question Topic

During one of my recruiting battles I promised a player 70% of the plays. After the first 3 non conference games his total was @ 69%. He sent me a nasty gram and his work ethic dropped dramatically. A 26 point WE drop for missing by 1% seems rather harsh but ok. Now 9 games into the season and his average playing time is at 70%. I have received a second email which states he doesnt think he has a future with our program. His WE has now dropped 35 points.

Am I wrong to think if I promised you 70% of the plays and youre at 70% your WE shouldnt be taking a massive beating? Suggestions? 

12/3/2012 5:33 PM (edited)
The 70% you see in the PP column is a rounded number, so it could still be below 70%.

He missed the 70% mark in 3 games, that alone would get him upset.

The 70% PP is for the whole season, averaged on a per game basis (i.e., you can play him well above 70% in the beginning of the year and 'slack off' at the end and he won't get mad).

12/3/2012 5:50 PM
He's an lost cause now because he isn't going to recover WE after the second notice of playing time. Next time, for every coach that makes that promise, play above percent you promised or offer an low percent amount around 45-60%, so you will never have this problem.
12/3/2012 10:51 PM
Only people I promise that much time to are QBs when the ones on my current roster are junk, Kickers and Punters.  Every other position 70% is hard to get at.  I like 45 because it keeps the recruit interested (25 barely does from what I can see) and then you can either start the guy and bench him at half or bench him and start him at half.  I had an entire OL of FR that I did this to one season, it adds work between halftime but a lot of people throw 25% at the player and it is easy to beat that out without killing yourself.  Playing time to WRs and RBs is a pain because it appears they get tired faster even when you have incredibly high stamina. 

Lucky you though... he still appears to be the 2nd or 3rd best WR you have and while he could have been awesome he will still end up good just with the 10-15 improvement every year.
12/4/2012 10:37 AM
Promised playing time question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.