Gameplanning vs. Minutes played Topic

When playing a team that plays lots of guys close to 30 minutes, what is the best strategy to use to make them pay for overplaying their people? Should you play uptempo to tire them out? Should you increase the minutes of your own best players to match theirs so they aren't matched up against your bench? Do coaches even pay attention to this at all?  Any oppinions are appreciated.
12/4/2012 1:09 PM
pretty sure that your tempo does not impact the other team's fatigue anymore. Prob means his bench sucks. If your bench is dramatically worse than his starters go with your starters longer, maybe with slow down...
12/4/2012 2:03 PM
so if tempo doesn't affect fatigue then that means coaches can play players without any worry that stamina will be affected beyond normal playing ability? That sucks. A player can play the same amount of minutes efficiently no matter what tempo they are playing against? wow...
12/4/2012 3:43 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 12/4/2012 2:03:00 PM (view original):
pretty sure that your tempo does not impact the other team's fatigue anymore. Prob means his bench sucks. If your bench is dramatically worse than his starters go with your starters longer, maybe with slow down...
IF his bench sucks then you want to go UPTEMPO to try and get his starters in foul trouble and force the bench to play more minutes.
12/4/2012 4:16 PM
Posted by mullycj on 12/4/2012 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 12/4/2012 2:03:00 PM (view original):
IF his bench sucks then you want to go UPTEMPO to try and get his starters in foul trouble and force the bench to play more minutes.
In my opinion, there are only three reasons to consider going uptempo.
  1. You want to increase the number of possessions because you're sure you can draw a ton of fouls
  2. You want your backups in the game for more minutes and don't feel like adjusting other stuff
  3. You have a ridiculous spread to cover
Really, only #1 is a solid reason.
12/4/2012 5:16 PM
Hmmm draw more fouls that's the ticket! Thanks
12/4/2012 11:52 PM
Yeah, tempo only affects the offensive team.  Dumb, but true.  You could try shooting less 3's in order to increase the chances of drawing fouls, thereby getting to his bench faster.  That's really the only way I know how to punish a team without depth.
12/5/2012 9:05 AM
ok so let's say you have a very athletic, speedy player with low LP ratings and decent PER ratings, how does this player type perform in a loaded distro, uptempo paced game? Are fouls called more based on ATH and SP or actually offensive ratings?
12/5/2012 2:16 PM
To start with, are you sure the other coach is "overplaying their people?"  If they play a zone and a decent amount of slowdown they may not be overplaying them at all.  I've had a bunch of guys who could play 27-29 minutes on Fairly Fresh at normal tempo.  Go to slowdown and they could probably go 30-32 without even moving them down to Getting Tired, and most players (stamina > ~72 or so) could probably go 30 mpg on slowdown with a zone defense and non-fastbreak offense if set to Getting Tired, which a lot of coaches are willing to go to for their stars.  I'm hesitant to use Getting Tired if I'm running a press, and probably would in the fastbreak as well.  But in other systems it's a perfectly legitimate fatigue setting if there's a decent dropoff after the starter.  So you should check into this.  If he's actually tiring his guys out and playing them fatigued, you can probably draw a lot of fouls.  If they're not really getting all that tired it might be tougher if they're solid defenders.  At that point if you go uptempo and don't draw fouls you could be setting yourself up for a lot of trouble, with your starters' minutes trailing theirs by even more than they would at normal tempo.  Certainly if they're not playing fatigued I don't think it's worth the efficiency hit that uptempo tends to cause.
12/5/2012 2:36 PM
If we're talking about St. Mary's, they play at least decent defense, and fussyd is a pretty good coach, and I wouldn't recommend uptempo in that matchup for you.
12/5/2012 2:44 PM
There is some confusion over tempo.   Tempo definitely affects the offense and I believe offense only.
That said, the by-product is still that the other team tires out quicker.

Playing a team that plays slowdown, if I play slowdown, my starters will all hit 32+ with decent stamina on fairly fresh.
Playing a team that plays uptempo, press, if I play slowdown, my starters usually max out at about 25 with decent stamina on fairly fresh.

Thus, even though it only affects offense, the effect of chasing around the faster offensive sets must tire out the opposing team quicker.
12/5/2012 2:55 PM
It's not supposed to.  The only way in which tempo seems to impact the other team's fatigue is through moderation of foul trouble.
12/5/2012 3:20 PM
The type of defense affects the offense stamina, not the tempo.

In your example above you referred to a defense that played FCP.
12/5/2012 3:21 PM
Gameplanning vs. Minutes played Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.