Double-Switch Help for Engine Update Topic

Posted by joshkvt on 12/12/2012 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 12/12/2012 11:20:00 AM (view original):
Didn't know that. Last time I played SLB, it could be some not all.
Leagues are pretty much live or non-live. The non-live leagues allow live play that's limited to the extent that it might as well not exist (next series only, which means two owners have to plan to play a particular series live and can only do it during a two-day period or so). The all-or-nothing is in league setup. If you sign up for a Live league, you do so with the expectation that each team will play at least 40-60 games live. If you sign up for a non-live league, the # of live games played is too small for anyone to care about — usually a half-dozen by 2-3 teams over the course of a season max. So yes, it can be "some" but the "some" is insignificant.
"All or nothing" isn't 25-30%.
12/12/2012 2:11 PM
Posted by mfahie on 12/12/2012 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/10/2012 11:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shobob on 12/8/2012 11:01:00 AM (view original):
I get way more ****** off about the state of the Hall of Fame than thinking about double switch logic.  In fact, I rarely think about double switch logic at all, but I get ****** off about the Hall of Fame's problems every season with every team I have.
Way to prioritize what's important in the game.
I'm 100% with shobob here. Tec, things like the HOF are what's important in the game. That's the whole point of a continuous league - records, HOF, all that stuff. 

Although there are some minor issues with the way the actual game is played, I'd say that's the best part of the whole experience.

From my perspective, there are two main areas to fix:
1) Things on the "set-up" side of the game: Imbalances in budgeting (having 0 ADV should have some sort of penalty), the boringness of coach hiring (we don't go hire individual scouts, do we?), the inability to transfer $1 million (so somebody overbudgets by $2.3 million and they get to transfer, but I overbudgeted by $1.1 million and I don't?), etc.

2) Cosmetic issues that affect long-term enjoyment: Records display (5 players only? Seriously? Still?), HOF voting (with more teams in a league than in real life, why only 5 votes when in RL they get 10?), HOF nomination cards (why does their last position display when it would be so easy to check what position they played the most?), etc.

I have never lost a game because the HOF didn't work the way I wanted it too.

I have lost a game because double switch, if working closer to reality, may have saved that game.

Thus, double switch wins in my head.
12/12/2012 3:58 PM
I took "all" to mean all players in a live league tend to play some or many games live, not that all games are played live. There has never been a league in which more than a couple of teams played all 161 possible games live. At the other end, my point was that in sim (non-live) leagues the number of games played live is very close to nothing (generally less than 1% of a league's total games). The statement to which death referred discussed that worlds would have to be all-live or non-live, not that every game in a world would have to be one or the other. In Sim Baseball, with a few exceptions for progressives leagues, there are either all owners who play live or no owners who play live. If every team has to play at least 40 games live it affects 100% of teams, not 25-30%.
12/12/2012 4:39 PM (edited)
Tec, you can take things I say how you want to take them.  That is entirely your right.  Trying to nitpick using dictionary definitions of words is a hallmark of internet debate. But I think it's clear what I meant to say, so you are being deliberately obtuse.  You are also free to disagree, which I already knew you did.  However, shobob and I disagree with you.

Death, I've lost games more ways than imaginable.  But over the course of 10 seasons, you lose hundreds of games. But there are only 10 HOF votes in that time.  I spend WAY more time thinking about the HOF (and career stats etc.) than I do about double switches. I understand completely that others feel differently, but I also doubt that I am alone.

Heck, if you're looking for something unrealistic about the game, calculate how many runners get thrown out at home.  I've done it.  It's almost 10 times more than in real life.

12/12/2012 8:16 PM
◂ Prev 123
Double-Switch Help for Engine Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.