Durability and Health Ratings Topic

So I've seen pitchers will crazy skill sets in terms of their control, vL, vR, stamina, pitch ratings, etc. But I grow insanely gun shy to acquire them due to what I view as lower durability and/or health ratings. I'm wondering if anyone with significant HBD experience can elaborate on how they approach this. What is your floor for durability and health ratings? Specifically when talking pitchers.
12/8/2012 11:42 PM
I'm leery about anybody with a health rating lower than 50.

Durability is a different animal.  A guy with great stuff and low durability still has a lot of value.  You can always find a spot in your bullpen for them, or use them as a spot starter.  You just might be playing with a virtual 24 man roster when he's unavailable because he's fatigued.  If the rest of your roster is built such that you can tolerate that, then a low durability guy can work for you.
12/9/2012 7:36 AM
I don't worry over health.    But, if a guy has a low one, just have a plan for his injury.

You just have to have a proper staff for the low DUR guy.   Much like the injury, plan for his fatigued times.
12/9/2012 7:50 AM
Acquire talent first, figure out how to manage it second, I guess.  As for health, I've already seen good health pitchers suffer injuries.

12/9/2012 9:49 AM
Regarding hitters with low durability, resting them during the season will help conserve their energy for late in the season right?
12/9/2012 1:22 PM
Yes. I don't play any starters in spring training to help conserve their stamina for the season. Usually only play scrubs, or guys I'm looking to develop to try and get them extra ABs and another development cycle.
12/9/2012 6:08 PM
i thought you were supposed to play the starters a little bit for some reason.
12/9/2012 6:57 PM
Nope. There is no "rust" factor.
12/9/2012 11:02 PM
I will acquire via FA or trade a guy with great ratings but low, health, say in the 40 range.  A veteran.

I will never draft or sign a young guy with the same health.  Needs to be 80+

12/11/2012 9:28 PM
Posted by lccooler on 12/9/2012 11:02:00 PM (view original):
Taken alone, this is a completely true statement - there is no "rust" factor.

In context, however, it is somewhat misleading, as there are benefits to getting some PT for the ML players during ST, even though it may "cost" some regular season stamina.

For younger players, ST can help improvement. For older players, ST can help stave off in-season decline.
12/11/2012 10:17 PM
If you have a low health player capable of contributing at the ML level its better to play them before they get injured than after.
12/12/2012 1:29 AM
Posted by zbrent716 on 12/11/2012 10:17:00 PM (view original):

In context, however, it is somewhat misleading, as there are benefits to getting some PT for the ML players during ST, even though it may "cost" some regular season stamina.

For younger players, ST can help improvement. For older players, ST can help stave off in-season decline.
Can you elaborate on in-season decline?
12/12/2012 1:39 AM
Posted by mezirah on 12/12/2012 1:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zbrent716 on 12/11/2012 10:17:00 PM (view original):

Can you elaborate on in-season decline?
Older players will suffer from the deterioration of "skill" ratings in-season; it is inevitable. Periods of non-use, however, accelerate that deterioration, whether they occur in the regular season or during ST.

Take Red Bolton, for example.

At his age, he is going to decline regardless, but his inactivity in ST increased the speed at which his "skill" ratings declined: 1 point control, 1 point vsLH, 2 points vsRH, 2 points GB/FB, 3 points P1, 1 point P2, 1 point P3 reflected just in his first Event line (opening day).
12/12/2012 4:33 AM
Durability and Health Ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.