Kickers and Punters Topic

A few questions on these guys. I am at the DIII level and trying to figure a few things out.

I run the ball a lot, play field position etc. Most of my games are lower scoring so I feel my kickers hold some value that I want to maximize. My questions about them are as follows:

1. How much do kickers and punters develop over the course of 4 seasons?

2. If they do have significant gains I ask, is there value in recruiting a kicker/punter when I have a Sr to play, that way I am able to never have a freshmen on the field at those two possitions. I understand I am sacrificing a guy at another spot but I just found myself wondering about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
12/9/2012 5:33 PM
I've sometimes recruited a great punter or kicker a season before the job is open and redshirted them.  I don't like to have the extra pressure of having to have a kicker or punter and if I can get a great one cheap I'll burn the extra spot.  However, generally speaking it think it is not the best idea in the world.
12/9/2012 5:46 PM
I would think you're better off using those roster slots for OL or a red-shirted RB....
12/9/2012 7:43 PM
I recommend using the roster slot for any other position besides K or P.  As long as you have one of each, you are good.... 
12/9/2012 9:48 PM
Okay so are these answers because kickers/punters dont grow much and the difference between a Sr and Fr is minimal or is it becuase the other spots are just that much more valuable?
12/9/2012 10:40 PM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 12/9/2012 10:40:00 PM (view original):
Okay so are these answers because kickers/punters dont grow much and the difference between a Sr and Fr is minimal or is it becuase the other spots are just that much more valuable?
A little of both I'd say... I recruit a starting K and P when I have none (so they start all 4 years) they do improve a little but they are still pretty efficient as Fr so I see no point to have more than one and RS a skill player or defensive player would be more valuable in the long haul IMO
12/9/2012 10:59 PM
I only recruit K and P when I have none.  Too few roster spots available to have more than 1 of each, especially if you are redshirting other players.  
12/9/2012 11:51 PM
Usually scout a couple of K and P when my starters are seniors because you can always RS them and there might be an low demand for them so you can get a highly skill player at that position. When you have none on your roster, you end wasting more money scouting several then few recruits the prior season because you dont need one starter now, if that makes sense.
12/10/2012 12:16 AM
I made it to the national championship game without a Punter. Obviously not that important depth is more of a factor than a Punter. But you got to have a good kicker I've never had more than one at a time though.
12/10/2012 1:31 PM
Kickers and Punters grow about the same as everyone else, but it only equates to a yard or two per punt or a couple of percentage points better on FGs.  On the other hand, not carrying a kicker and punter can hurt you.  A punter kicking field goals will hit around 60-65% vs a norm of around 85-90%.  Over the course of the season, that is giving up about 2 points per game on average.  Having a K as a P can hurt you as well.  A K will be hard pressed to hit 30 yds per punt vs an average of 40-42.  So over the course of the year, and say 6 punts a game, you are giving up 60 yards of field position per game.
12/10/2012 5:25 PM
Did a recent season with just a K doing both... it was the difference between a 10-3 team and a 8-5 team (I ended up 8-5 because I was punting 35 ypg as a SR K)  That same Kicker kicked 100%.  That being said, I have had K kick 100% as FR and usually FR Punters should be able to get about 43 a punt.  Only do one K and one P.  No need for two of each except as dano stated but a 5 year K or P will not make a difference over time.  

best way to put it.

K and P will not win you games but without them you are more likely to lose games.

A good RB or QB can win games by themselves.
12/10/2012 9:35 PM
Thanks to those who put in their two cents.
12/11/2012 10:24 AM
What do you look for in terms of ratings when it comes to a kicker?

Like what would you consider to be a normal D3 guy in strength and tech?

12/11/2012 2:52 PM
At the higher levels...  I cut my K and P every year for the extra recruiting $$ and grab one for nothing....  I would at the lower levels too... but I don't really get into too much detail recruiting at those levels..
12/11/2012 3:04 PM
Posted by cart3r on 12/11/2012 2:52:00 PM (view original):
What do you look for in terms of ratings when it comes to a kicker?

Like what would you consider to be a normal D3 guy in strength and tech?

Can someone help me with this? My kicker struggled this year and I am not sure if i just had bad luck or recruited a bum.
12/14/2012 1:00 AM
12 Next ▸
Kickers and Punters Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.