Does their health% drop in real time during the game? Does a RP pitching with 40% health have lowered stats and a greater chance to be injured? I'm just curious if its better to set max pitches lower if I have the staff to pitching 3-4 Relief pitchers instead of 1-2 in a game. This question also applies to a starter who can throw 130 pitches. Just because he can, he will be pitching with low % health in the late innings, is it better to just pull them earlier?

12/9/2012 7:08 PM
As far as I know it does not.
12/11/2012 9:22 PM
A pitcher is more likely to start getting rocked later in the game, I assume due to his lowered stamina and ratings as he gets tired.
12/11/2012 9:26 PM
It's not really a health %, but a fatigue %, and yes, there is in-game fatigue. The HBD simulation engine was originally brought over from the SimLeague Baseball game that WhatIf offers. There have been tweaks since then, but much remains the same. To get an idea how it works, go check out SimLeague live play at http://whatifsports.com/mlb-h/default.asp.
12/11/2012 10:09 PM
Yes there is in game fatigue but I think what he is asking is as a pitcher gets tired is he more likely to get hurt. I do not think the health rating decreases during the game and  I do not think there is an increased chance of injury other than the fact that he is still in the game. I will say it would not suprise me if the chance of injury increased after his in game fatigue reached 0 so throwing a guy with a 70 stanima for 150 pitched is probably not a good idea but throwing him for 50 pitches won't decrease his chance for an injury other than the fact that he is unlikely to get injured if he is not in the game.
12/12/2012 9:17 AM (edited)
mez I think the reason you did not get an answer right away is because we were not completely sure what you were asking.
12/12/2012 9:14 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Does performance degrade with fatigue? Or just chance of injury?
12/12/2012 10:11 PM
In the Sim Live engine, performance degrades slowly until a pitcher hits 80% or so for in-game fatigue. The fatigue level and performance plummet rapidly from there. A pitcher whose "stamina" suggests 80 pitches/game would be a little less-effective after 70 pitches, a little more less-effective from 80-90, and then decline in a decidedly non-linear freefall. I don't know what changes were made to that model in HBD.
12/13/2012 1:01 AM
Posted by mezirah on 12/12/2012 10:11:00 PM (view original):
Does performance degrade with fatigue? Or just chance of injury?
This is difficult to answer with any certainty but I've found lowering PC will often improve a pitcher's performance.
12/13/2012 9:08 AM
As in improve his overall stats over the course of a season? ie, he is not getting tagged while fatigued later in the game, or do you think he is 'better' in the lower pitch count blocks as well?
12/13/2012 10:35 AM
Again, difficult to answer.    Because off the pre-set pull settings, a guy giving up a 3 run homer on pitch 80 will get pulled.   Of course, if he's pulled at pitch 70 due to the lower PC, he never throws that gopher ball and his stats will be better.   Does that mean he was fatigued, and less effective, 10 pitches later?  I don't know.

Personally, I think that's the case.   That he was less effective at pitch 80 than he was at pitch 70.  So, by reducing PC, he suddenly "became" a better pitcher.
12/13/2012 10:53 AM
FWIW, I've had far too many SP struggle with 70-80 PC suddenly become slam the door LR with a PC of 50-60.  Or even LR with a PC of 50-60 become quality SR with a PC of 25-30.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Carlos Abreu is a good example of a mediocre SP in the minors whose been pretty good in relief in the bigs.    Pressed into starting duty this season, he's been decidedly mediocre with the higher PC.
12/13/2012 11:03 AM
Posted by joshkvt on 12/13/2012 1:01:00 AM (view original):
In the Sim Live engine, performance degrades slowly until a pitcher hits 80% or so for in-game fatigue. The fatigue level and performance plummet rapidly from there. A pitcher whose "stamina" suggests 80 pitches/game would be a little less-effective after 70 pitches, a little more less-effective from 80-90, and then decline in a decidedly non-linear freefall. I don't know what changes were made to that model in HBD.
I believe in LIVE pitchers experience no fatigue at all until they hit their IP/G allotment. I've always assumed the same to be true in HBD. 

If its helpful to anyone, I calculate IP/G allotment by multiplying (Stam x 1.3). A target PC of that number or lower should allow him to never experience in-game fatigue.
12/13/2012 9:05 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.