Had a player fall under 2.0 at final grades Topic

And he's now ineligible for the rest of the season. Will he be ineligible at the beginning of next season? I had gotten a warning that he was "in the yellow" at a 2.0 and I bumped his study hall by 1, but he still dropped to a 1.9. I've never had this problem before, how should I best handle it?
12/9/2012 9:57 PM
He WILL be eligible at the start of next season.

How to handle it depends on you as a coach and what kind of player he is. If he's critical to your teams success, take no chances and always err on the side of caution when adding time to SH, probably no less than 5 mins and as many as10-15. (depend too on how stupid he is. I have had a few remarkable ignorant players who managed to fail out with upwards of 20 mins of SH. RARE, but entirely possible)

Edited: Just wanted to add that you need not worry about SH for the remainder of the season, he's already failed and will not drop further than he already is, you may re-assign his SH mins to practice skills, if you wish. He still practices with the team.
12/9/2012 10:16 PM (edited)
He'll be eligible next year and SH is for suckers
12/9/2012 10:14 PM
Thanks. This is helpful. I couldn't believe he dropped.
12/9/2012 10:22 PM
He will have to attend summer classes to become eligible and as a result you wont see as much offseason improvement though.
12/9/2012 11:37 PM
Posted by artie40 on 12/9/2012 9:57:00 PM (view original):
And he's now ineligible for the rest of the season. Will he be ineligible at the beginning of next season? I had gotten a warning that he was "in the yellow" at a 2.0 and I bumped his study hall by 1, but he still dropped to a 1.9. I've never had this problem before, how should I best handle it?
Not trying to sound like an *** here, but if he was at a 2.0 and you only bumped his SH up by 1 minute, you were taking a huge risk with having him flunk out.  Like X said, if he was a critical player to your team's success, you should have taken no chances and bumped his SH up considerably.  By only giving him a minute, you were really playing with fire.  Ehh, you got burned this time, but just chalk it up to experience.

As was stated earlier, he'll be eligible at the start of the next season, but you may see less offseason improvement than you would expect because he's having to spend his time in "summer school" now instead of working on his game.  It's no biggie, a learning experience really, and it's happened too many, many HD coaches (including myself).  It's not the end of the world, although if he was a vital part of your team, it will sting alot worse than if he was the twelfth man towel boy/jock washer-type player.
12/10/2012 1:23 AM
there is a random element in grades.  You should not at all be shocked to see a drop since you left SH at apx the same level.  A bump of 1 is tiny.  

There used to be a bigger random element, over the last year or so it has been a bit more rational.  Still, at 2.0 you should make a big bump.  How big is big?  I'd usual double the SH minutes or more - that depends on where they started- but if he matters to your team, I'd go to 15 or 20 if a guy is at 2.0
12/10/2012 6:07 AM
I hadn't had it happen, but it won't happen again. He came into the year at a 2.4, so he wasn't a star student to begin with...I simply figured that any bump in SH would produce at the very least a small improvement, or a lack of a drop.

Live and learn is the lesson here. Like I said, it only has to happen to my team once. Thankfully, he was a backup so he's not exactly vital but it's pretty tough on my depth.
12/10/2012 7:11 PM
Posted by artie40 on 12/10/2012 7:11:00 PM (view original):
I hadn't had it happen, but it won't happen again. He came into the year at a 2.4, so he wasn't a star student to begin with...I simply figured that any bump in SH would produce at the very least a small improvement, or a lack of a drop.

Live and learn is the lesson here. Like I said, it only has to happen to my team once. Thankfully, he was a backup so he's not exactly vital but it's pretty tough on my depth.
You're first thought is the exact sentiment of many coaches, that ANY addition to SH should at least stop a drop in GPA.  Unfortunately, as Mets said, there is a small random element to SH, so that even a small increase in SH minutes could result in a drop in GPA.  Doesn't seem fair, so to speak, but it's true. 
12/10/2012 9:30 PM
just think back to college - or for those still in college - think about how your grades vary

my grades went up at times, they went down at times, things going well with a girlfriend, grades down........etc etc randomness
12/10/2012 10:40 PM
my college buddies often told me these simple words of advice: go to class high, study high, test high, and get high scores!! sadly, most of them flunked out. but i wouldnt read much into that, most of them were complete dumbasses, i think that was the primary issue ;)
12/10/2012 11:23 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/10/2012 11:23:00 PM (view original):
my college buddies often told me these simple words of advice: go to class high, study high, test high, and get high scores!! sadly, most of them flunked out. but i wouldnt read much into that, most of them were complete dumbasses, i think that was the primary issue ;)
I, sadly for my final grades, practiced this theory out with a bit too much regularity. If being in an almost constant state of herbal intoxication is worth perhaps a .5 on final GPA, I would have been a pretty kick-*** student, and also had more money to go on dates (smh).
12/11/2012 10:51 AM
Or  more money to play fake sports leagues!
12/11/2012 11:02 AM
Had a player fall under 2.0 at final grades Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.