Backcourt scoring skills Topic

I'm in D3 and I'm wondering what skills to look for when recruiting players that I want to be my future scoring options
12/10/2012 12:56 PM

In my opinion, guards you want spd/bh/ath/per/lp. If you want more perimeter, re-order to spd/per/bh/ath. Other coaches with more experience than myself may have a different priority list.

12/10/2012 1:08 PM
you really want to focus on the spd/per combo for back court scoring. if you've got tons of those two, you can have a great scorer, with **** everywhere else. ball handling is also fairly important, and you can also have lp oriented guards, for whom lp and ath are decently important. really, lp is valuable for a per type guard as well, but the value of ath only really kicks in as lp gets more and more important, and still, spd is always significantly more important for a guard, on offense, than ath. to try to quantify that a bit, you almost can ignore ath for pure long range scorers, but for driving guards, you dont want to do that any more. also, ft% is pretty important for those lp type guards.
12/10/2012 2:12 PM
My 2nd all time leading scorer had crap for per.  High speed/ath/lp/bh.  So really, speed/ath/bh are the important factors and per/lp is interchangable, depending on what type of scorer you want. 

Agree with gillispie though, that speed/per and ath/lp seem to be important to lump together. 
12/10/2012 2:35 PM
Thanks guys that helped out a lot
12/10/2012 3:43 PM

In D3, I have had a player w/ very high speed (90+) and BH (80+) but limited ath (I think it was 24?) and per/lp both in the hi-30's score 19 a game as a SR at around a 47% shooting clip. This was, I think, a rare anomaly as I didn't even begin the season with him at a high distro. I thought that was interesting, and showed me that the SIM engine finds your scorers for you but they obviously have to have the right underlying skills.

12/11/2012 11:06 AM
Ath and SPD are king, however SPD is the true king, imo. Don't be afraid to take a guy with superior ratings and flawed ATH. Yes, he may get more fouls and may even hit the wall occasionally against similar spd coupled with better ATH, But, I find far more guys with average spd than with superior SPD and I think that's an acceptable equation.
12/11/2012 3:06 PM
Backcourt scoring skills Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.