My rules to play by Topic

I just sent this list to a newbie, and thought I'd post it here. I'm sure many of you have good rules, too.

My rules to play WIS by:

1. The game (and life) are streaky. Learn to live with this.
2. The game simulation uses statistical baselines. No matter who is hot or who is not, the best player to use is always the one with the best stats.
3. The best stats are OBP# and OPS# for hitters; and ERC# and WHIP# for pitchers.
4. Home runs (hitting them and allowing them) make a difference.
5. Plan ahead. This is a progressive league; ask yourself what you need to do each season and in each draft to keep your team competitive or make it more so.
6. Remember there are always others who understand this game better than you do (or I do). Read the general baseball forum regularly to find what there is to learn there. (If a post is written by zubinsum or boogerlips, it is worth reading, even if you don't understand it.)
7. There are 27 outs on each side in nine innings. Avoid strategies that waste outs. (For example, a batter with a higher OBP# makes fewer outs; a pitcher with a lower WHIP# creates more outs.)
8. Fast players, if they are managed (in the team settings) so that they are not reckless, will score more runs, all other things being equal.
9. All other things are not equal.
10. Luck is the residue of design.

12/12/2012 4:15 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Good advice...thanks for sharing. There are many nuances to this game and it takes a while to understand how to be successful. As you said, I'm still learning myself.
12/12/2012 9:58 AM
8. Fast players, if they are managed (in the team settings) so that they are not reckless, will score more runs, all other things being equal.

Yes.
12/12/2012 11:00 AM

Thanks for the nice words...

I'd add one

11.  Beware of small sample sizes...

12/12/2012 8:43 PM
LUCK IS THE RESIDUE OF DESIGN

I shall be stealing this quote. TY.
12/14/2012 5:18 PM
Posted by cpdpoet on 12/14/2012 5:18:00 PM (view original):
LUCK IS THE RESIDUE OF DESIGN

I shall be stealing this quote. TY.
I stole it from Branch Rickey, whom others claim stole it from John Milton.

Perhaps attribution is the residue of thievery ...
12/15/2012 4:14 AM (edited)
8. Fast players, if they are managed (in the team settings) so that they are not reckless, will score more runs, all other things being equal

How do you do that? I set my steal option in the advance settings to "1" and I have a player who has attempted to steal every time he gets on base! Against a catcher with an A arm! He's run me out of too many innings. How can I make him stop?

In my manager style, I have average base running and aggressive hit and run. Does that have something to do with it?
12/15/2012 10:27 AM
H&R is a minor factor. Even on aggressive, you'll likely run the play only three times in a game.

When I have a fast team, I set it for very aggressive base running and I set all individuals for 0 stealing, excepting only those whose successful steal percentage exceeds 77%.

I want a team that goes from 1st to 3rd as often as possible.

Steals are a loser unless you have the prospect of a high success rate.

Try setting your troubling player for 0 stealing.
12/16/2012 6:35 AM

Here is Rickey's full quote:

“Things worthwhile generally don’t just happen. Luck is a fact, but should not be a factor. Good luck is what is left over after intelligence and effort have combined at their best. Negligence or indifference are usually reviewed from an unlucky seat. The law of cause and effect and causality both work the same with inexorable exactitudes. Luck is the residue of design.”

12/16/2012 3:47 PM
My rules to play by Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.