redshirting a senior? Topic

dac, have you seen that because of their listed position and the need on the floor, or because you were down to five players all together, available to play atll.
12/13/2012 12:09 PM
As long as we are asking a question on redshirts... I just signed a JUCO with three years of eligibility remaining.  He was better than the HS options (I don't sign JUCO players very often, but this guy has some excellent growth potential), but he would only play garbage minutes this season and it would help me balance my classes if he will take a RS.

Does anyone have experience recruiting a JUCO 1 and immediately redshirting him?  I am hoping he will look at the other four big men on the team and realize that it is the best decision, but I am wondering what experience others have had with this.
12/13/2012 1:14 PM
Players in HD don't look at "the other four big men on the team" but at the ones listed officially as the same position as they are. So if he's a PF, he'll only look at other PFs to determine his "depth" on the roster.

My experience is that players will more readily accept a redshirt if there are two players better than him on the roster AT HIS SPECIFIC POSITION, but again, that's only been with freshman for me.

12/13/2012 1:17 PM
bistiza is right, and davis, its a crapshoot. but there is NOTHING TO LOSE by trying. so just give it a shot during (or before) exhibitions, and then if you need to take it off, you can immediately try someone else. like many coaches, ive tried 5 guys during exhibitions if thats what it took to find one to take it :)
12/13/2012 1:24 PM
Had 6 seniors and redshirted the lowest rated (and there was another Senior at his position). Didn't take any hit in WE.

And my experience have redshirted a freshman C when there were no other Centers on the team, just 4 PF's. Accepted it no problem. So I think both C and PF are considered together when determining depth. Makes sense that PG and SG would be considered together too. SF? No idea.
12/13/2012 1:28 PM
Same thing right now. I have a freshman center redshirted and he is the only C on the team. Also have 4 PF's. So PF/C depth must be considered together.
12/13/2012 1:38 PM
Thanks for the info, either way it will hopefully be fine because all four bigs ahead of him are also PF's.
12/13/2012 1:41 PM
Posted by cal_bears on 12/13/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
dac, have you seen that because of their listed position and the need on the floor, or because you were down to five players all together, available to play atll.
pretty sure there were more than 5 players left available - its only happened a couple times...
12/13/2012 1:50 PM
biz and cbg are both mostly right, but there seems to be more to it. This is from the dev chat about the changes: 
Each player will be evaluated by a position-specific formula that weights each rating relative to how important it is for that position. Then the player being redshirted will be ranked within the entire team roster, and his response will factor in that placement. Depth chart is not used for this, just listed position. Minutes in exhibition have no effect.

so the formula to rate players is position specific, (it rates every player on the team from the sounds of it) and then it compares that rating to the other players on the team (all of them apparently) and the kid you want to redshirt's decision is in part influenced by his rank in that...so its not just, ok he's the only listed PF so he won't accept it...I think...
12/13/2012 1:56 PM
Sounds like like "depth" is determined by the other player skills for that position ... regardless of what position they are listed for.
12/13/2012 2:12 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 12/13/2012 11:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by andrew5975 on 12/13/2012 9:16:00 AM (view original):
the senior im looking to redshirt is pretty horrible. im not expecting him to contribute next season either. im just doing it to balance out my classes a bit
If he's horrible, don't waste the RS on him. Let him get out of there and recruit a JuCo/transfer or 2 next season.
well this was obviously my first thought...but this past recruiting class...i searched for jucos and transfers...and there was only 1 within 200 miles of me...and he wasnt very good. so with the limited budget in div3...i didnt know if it would be such a good idea to plan on having to venture far away from campus to find a couple of jucos or transfers to help balance out my classes. does that make sense?
12/13/2012 2:58 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 12/13/2012 1:56:00 PM (view original):
biz and cbg are both mostly right, but there seems to be more to it. This is from the dev chat about the changes: 
Each player will be evaluated by a position-specific formula that weights each rating relative to how important it is for that position. Then the player being redshirted will be ranked within the entire team roster, and his response will factor in that placement. Depth chart is not used for this, just listed position. Minutes in exhibition have no effect.

so the formula to rate players is position specific, (it rates every player on the team from the sounds of it) and then it compares that rating to the other players on the team (all of them apparently) and the kid you want to redshirt's decision is in part influenced by his rank in that...so its not just, ok he's the only listed PF so he won't accept it...I think...
i guess seble changed it in that redshirt change. so now, it ranks all players on the team, and takes the lowest guys and gives them a higher chance to redshirt. interesting.

keep in mind with ALL of this, there is a random factor - so seeing 1 FR say yes in 1 circumstance definitely doesnt guarantee a repeat performance in a similar circumstance. ive had a **** ton of freshman turn me down even with 2 guys ahead of them at the same position.
12/13/2012 8:13 PM
Following up - the JUCO player happily accepted the RS this morning, which helps me with class balance and will help him have a better career (he has an F IQ in my offense right now and also needs some time in the weight room).
12/14/2012 8:51 AM
◂ Prev 12
redshirting a senior? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.