I've been playing this game for a while now, and I've see some pretty funky picks for the AS team while obviously better players stayed home. But this one takes the cake. I know making the AS team is not a big deal, but I'd still like you're opinion on which guy you would put on the NL AS team at 1B in Mattingly. It's between <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2624101" target="_blank">Tomas Castillo</a> and <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3475598" target="_blank">Jesse Friedrich</a>. A few basic stats.

Friedrich               Castillo
BA          .290                         .330(NL-#2)
HR          40(ML-#1)               6
RBI          88(NL-#2)              36
SB          0                               16
OPS        1.024(NL-#1)         .834
OBP        .362                         .381
SLG         .662(ML-#2)          .451

So please take a moment to tell me which guy you think is more deserving of making the NL AS team. Also, if there is anyone out there who can tell me what the crtieria for AS consideration is. Because from these stats, it looks like the sim really puts a high premium on BA and SB.
12/21/2012 8:11 AM
Fielding:

Castillo: no errors and 15 plus plays in 786.1 innings at 1B
Friedrich: 2 errors and 6 minus plays in 719.1 innings at 1B

The engine also places a very big premium on defense for position players when it comes to awards like All Star.
12/21/2012 8:45 AM
You're right tec, because there is really not much of a comparison offensively. This is what is listed in the Knowledge Base as the criteria for AS consideration.

1B/2B/3B/SS/LF/CF/RF - runs created, good plays, poor plays, errors, team winning percentage.

By this criteria, Castillo is the choice even though Friedrich leads Castillo by over 13 RC and about 1.3 RC/27. And it's ridiculous, since only one of these criteria deals with individual offensive output. The other criteria are defensive or team oriented. This needs an update.

But I still ask. Which guy would YOU put on the AS team?
12/21/2012 9:11 AM (edited)
Friedrich looks like more of a DH.  But Castillo looks like an SS playing 1B, so his defensive numbers should be sick.  But why is his owner playing him at 1B?

12/21/2012 9:08 AM
You'd have to ask him. But he's got the best record in the league so I guess he's doing something right. Defense at 1B is nice but it's a luxury. 1B is an offensive position. Friedrich may not be Don Mattingly, but he's adequate(I'm in the NL so DH not an option). You can't leave one of the most productive players in the league off the AS team in any scenario, except for the one in which WIS criteria is used.
12/21/2012 9:31 AM
Didn't mean that as a knock on Friedrich.  I'm in the NL too, so you have to find a place to play those guys.  I suppose I would be answering my own question with, if that other owner can play an SS (or defensive utility guy) at 1B, the rest of his team must be outstanding.

12/21/2012 9:53 AM
Castillo hs hit .311, .211, and .330 in 3 or his last 4 seasons!  How the heck does he do that with hi Contact/vL/vR numbers? 

40 taters by the AS Game?  I hate that.

Friederich should be the guy, however.
12/21/2012 10:22 AM
I feel bad, and can't be the only one who never looks at who makes the All Star game, or what the result of the game is, or even cares a bit about the Hall of Fame either.

While I do care deeply about who is a true knuckleballer, player awards are not significant to the game to me.

12/28/2012 11:40 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.