Alphabet Soup Rookie Progressive (New) 7 in !!! Topic

New Idea for a Progressive:

Take any letter from the alphabet (except the letters "I", "Q", "U", "X" and "Z" count as one letter)

Build a team based upon  Rookie Seasons for players whose last names started with that letter.

eg. "A" team: C - Ausmus  1b - Anson  2b - Alomar  3b - Allen  SS - Aparicio or Appling  OF - Aaron, Ashburn, Abreu   SP - PAlexander, Appier, Aguillera etc.

Players progress year to year, though if dropped cannot be chosen later.

There is a $100 Million Cap, so you may need to drop players to fit in under the cap.

Subsequent years must redraft players (by rookie season), but stick with the same letter.

Team name should stick with their letter eg. Allentown Alligators for the A's team.  Maybe stadium too (Arlington Stadium?)

I've played around with it a bit, and its kind of fun.

Should be able to make a 20 team league.

Should have a DH (lots of players) but league can vote on that.  No WW etc.

Should be modern era (1901-current) though could make exceptions.

I am happy to take the last letter.

Will leave up this post and see how much interest there is.

LJ
12/24/2012 12:44 AM (edited)

1.   ljemd - will take last letter
2.   bluetufts - M
3.   unnaturals - R
4.   masterdebate - J
5.   imladris12 - G
6.   yargespd1 - S
7.   calhoop - W
1/6/2013 5:15 PM (edited)
Are you going to have any AAA(you pick'em) to *wait* for players to develop??
12/23/2012 12:25 PM
we could draft a few AAA players also -- makes sense -- same letter though :)
12/23/2012 1:25 PM
Nice idea. I'd be interested in taking the M's if you get enough interest.
1/2/2013 7:20 AM
I am interested in the G's if enough people are interested to play.
1/2/2013 8:38 PM
the letter J.
1/2/2013 9:23 PM
and just to be clear, if say in your A example, Hank Aaron retires, he is blacklisted forever, or would be eligible at some point to be picked again as a rookie?
1/2/2013 9:38 PM
I would like the letter R.
1/3/2013 4:32 PM
Can more than 1 person have the same Letter?  Example "M" ... That's Willie May's, Mickey Mantle, Thurman Munson, Stan Musial, Joe Mauer, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez and many more... This seems to be way too many Great Players for only 1 guy to use. Looks like there could be enough players for 3-5 owners or more to have the letter "M".  This is probley True with some of the other Letters also. So what's the verdict on more than 1 owner having the same Letter?

If more than one Ower can Have the Same Letter, then I'll Play and also use the Letter "M"... Also is there a Draft for the Players picked or do we just make a team of who you want using your Letter? Can 2 owners have the same player or are they exculsive? If not on having 2 or more owners usuing the same Letter, then I'll Pass on Joining... Thanks for the Info and your Ruling either way...
1/5/2013 10:58 AM
OK we got some action.

I think it should be "Letter Exclusive" and it goes by last name only.

Also, since there is a Salary Cap, the "R's" and the "M's" are not at a specific advantage!

The question of what happens when someone retires or gets dropped, you can't pick them up again.  No exceptions.  Not sure why someone would drop Hank Aaron though!
1/5/2013 4:28 PM
In retrospect, there could be a league vote on repicking dropped players whose names started with the same letter -- it may be necessary to do that to get under the cap.  Possibly okay to do so for players < 1 Million salary.  League could vote on that.

eg. 5th season to get in under the cap have to redraft a rookie to play on the bench -- that situation would probably be okay.
1/5/2013 4:34 PM
i was just using aaron as an example. plus, if the league goes long enough, people will retire, and some letters won't have as many quality replacements as others.
1/6/2013 8:26 AM
Good point -- I think if the league goes > 5 years we should vote on a rule to allow players to reenter as a rookie, if there were no reasonable replacement player.

All the letters though could field a competitive $100M team - I checked it out
1/6/2013 9:51 AM
yeah, for several seasons. but if it goes more than 10 or so, my j's would be in serious trouble, depth wise. i'm sure several other letters would be that was as well. great theme, though. :)
1/6/2013 10:23 AM
12 Next ▸
Alphabet Soup Rookie Progressive (New) 7 in !!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.