Eyeball vs player roles *POLL* (L'ville-Knight) Topic

I decided to play with player roles for the first time. I mostly left the formulas at default, with minor tweaks to a couple settings here and there (generally raised ath and def and eliminated any dur). Frequently the top guy was the top at more than one position. In these cases I chose where to play him by looking at the average between him and the next guy. Here's what I got going by the player roles:

PG: Rule/Merritt/Briscoe
SG: Turner/Kowalkowski/Briscoe
SF: Leyva/Tubbs/blank/Briscoe
PF: Ramirez/Birchfield/blank/Crivello
C:   Colorado/Hutsell/Crivello

When I just look at the ratings and make my roster like I usually would, I'm thinking the following:

PG: Turner/Rule/Briscoe     
SG: Merritt/Kowalkowski/blank/Briscoe
SF: Tubbs/Leyva/Ramirez
PF: Birchfield/Leyva/blank/Ramirez
C:   Colorado/Hutsell/Crivello

2nd unit will get almost as many minutes as starters I imagine based on stamina. Gives 2nd unit some inside scoring to offset the perimeter scoring of the starters...

Which unit is better?

Votes: 21
(Last vote received: 1/24/2013 4:31 PM)
12/25/2012 4:42 AM
You talking about using only the prefab roles for the player roles thing?
12/25/2012 6:41 AM
Dude what team is this? lol  I've never even thought about using player roles myself, thus I guess my default answer is the eyetest lineup.  Moreover, if you don't think/feel like you have a knack/feel/gut instinct for this game, then why are you playing?
12/25/2012 10:31 AM
Funny thing is though, I would have the starting lineup of the Player Roles, personally lol
12/25/2012 10:33 AM
I just use the weight in the roles to codify my gut.
12/25/2012 10:47 AM
Better way to ask the question probably would have been "lineup a or lineup b" without saying which was eyeball or roles until the voting was done. I think some people just automatically will answer eyeballs without even looking.
12/25/2012 10:51 AM
dac, I use something similar to player roles ... the same concept of spliting up 100% in importance among the attributes by position.  However, I also take into account Def_IQ, Off_IQ, and FreeThrows.  Using my formulas, I would play this:

PG:  Rule / Kowalkowski / Merrit / Tubbs
SG:  Turner / Merritt / Tubbs / Kowalkowski
SF:  Ramirez / Tubbs / Merritt / Kowalkowski
PF:   Leyva / Tubbs / Hutsell / Burchfield
C:  Colorado / Hutsell / Tubbs / Burchfield

Maybe put Crivello in one of the 4th slots for PF or C to get him playing time as well .. I would probably do it at PF.  Same thing for the 4th spot for Briscoe at either PG or SG.  I would probably use Brisco as the 4th PG instead of Tubbs.

Based on that chart (which is likely what I would use), I would say that the roles lineup is closer to what I would use than your eyeball lineup.

My other rule is that starters only play their position (and don't backup any place else), and the other players fill all 4 spots.

12/25/2012 11:47 AM (edited)
This is for my Louisville team in Knight - sorry, should have mentioned that.
12/25/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by arssanguinus on 12/25/2012 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Better way to ask the question probably would have been "lineup a or lineup b" without saying which was eyeball or roles until the voting was done. I think some people just automatically will answer eyeballs without even looking.
yeah, I didn't think of that either...good point
12/25/2012 3:43 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/25/2012 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Dude what team is this? lol  I've never even thought about using player roles myself, thus I guess my default answer is the eyetest lineup.  Moreover, if you don't think/feel like you have a knack/feel/gut instinct for this game, then why are you playing?
don't be a tool all the time Trevor. I've got over 3,000 HD wins and a 62.7 winning % - just a discussion to compare/maybe attempt to see value in player roles...
12/25/2012 3:45 PM
Eyeball vs player roles *POLL* (L'ville-Knight) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.