American Baseball Union - Season 18 - 2 Openings Topic

We just rolled over on 1/11 and we have 2 openings for next season. We have a good core group of owners that are lively on the league message boards. We as a group are committed to improving the quality of the league and if you are looking to have an active stake in that improvement we would love to have you. We went public on 1/25 so just sign on up if you are interested.

Private World Rules include a minimum wins requirement set at 55 wins in any one season, 120 wins over any two seasons and 195 wins over any three season span. 

Available Teams:

Al East #1
72-90     3rd AL East - The franchise has struggled over the past 5 seasons never finishing higher than 3rd in the AL East. However the team will only have 38 million in payroll commitments next season giving the new owner significant flexibility. The ML squad is headlined by All-Star caliber CF Alan Foxx

NL West #1
83-79     2nd NL West - This team was 2 games off the division lead this season and has not finished below 2nd in the NL West in 10 seasons including 7 playoff appearances in that span.  The offense is led by Tanyon Gaston and Willie Gomez, while Willie Kennedy and Orlando Perez headline the pitching staff. 

1/25/2013 9:15 AM (edited)
Still thinking about that new year's resolution?
Want one that will actually last more than just to 2nd January?
Join ABU World: three months of action and, then, you can do it all over again...and again...and again...

So, you're unsure on what to do next. Let me help.
   Firstly, click on each of the links to view the available franchises. Make your choice.
   Secondly, on the post above, click on jkenned (the World commissioner) and then click on sitemail.
   Thirdly, send a sitemail message: maybe...I would like to join the esteemed group of ABU World owners, please.
   Fourthly, receive a sitemail back with the all important password.
   Fifthly, go to the HBD front page, enter the password and...join!

Simple, really.
12/31/2012 5:48 PM
Actually, not quite so simple!

Having failed to reach the post season one sometimes overlooks how long it takes to get through to the World rollover.
If you were to be so kind as to re-read the posting above and follow through the first, second and third lines of 'help', you will still receive a sitemail from our beloved commissioner but it would (I am sure) politely ask for your patience for a few more days until the present season concludes and then we can move on to a new campaign. Of course, don't forget to ask for a reservation on whichever excellent franchise you would like to take hold of the reigns.

I'm off to write an essay on how to remain patient.
1/2/2013 3:42 PM

"Houston. We have a problem."
 At least the Texans made the playoffs.
The countdown to the next ABU season has gotten stuck at FIVE.
The batteries are fully charged but something is preventing the number from dwindling.
Can you help?
Of course you can and it is very simple: just go to the top posting in this thread, make your selection of franchise and then follow the second posting instructions.

Now, just before you give up and go to read another thread...

An elderly couple was driving cross-country with the woman doing the driving.
She gets pulled over by the highway patrol.

The officer says: "Ma'am, did you know you were speeding?"
The woman turns to her husband and asks, "What did he say?"
The old man yells, "HE SAYS YOU WERE SPEEDING."

The patrolman says, "May I see your license?"
The woman turns to her husband and says, "What did he say?"
The old man yells, "HE WANTS TO SEE YOUR LICENSE."

The woman gives him her license.
The patrolman says, "I see you are from Arkansas. I spent some time there once, had the worse sex with a woman I have ever had."
The woman turns to her husband and asks, "What did he say?"
"HE THINKS HE KNOWS YOU" the old man yells.

Ha, ha, ha.
Ok, so remember it's the opening posting to select you franchise
and the second posting for the instructions on what to do.
Thank you.

1/15/2013 6:38 AM (edited)
Ahhh! So you're back.
 Still looking? Good...but come on now let's not waste any more time.

In a way each thread in this forum is like a retailer trying to sell its' wares. Of course, the wares are the same in each establishment and cost just about the same.
What you need is to find the one that suites you best.
Colour isn't an issue but what matters is performance.
You may want a highly tuned unit that is ready to go and just requires fuel (that's your input) or you may desire a more 'run-down' model that you can modify to your own taste (getting it in good condition and then adding the fuel can be very satisfying). The good news is that neither model can commence its' journey until everybody else is on the start line.

So, just re-read the posting above and you will know what to do.
Thank you.

1/16/2013 1:58 PM

Obviously, I am not s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g it out very well.
You are needed to join ABU World because there are 27 owners waiting very patiently for the next season to start.

At the rate recruiting is going a whole host of events could happen...
(i) the 2013 MLB spring training camps could open
(ii) The 49ers could beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl
(iii) The Jets could trade Tim Tebow
(iv) The Lakers could put together a win-streak
(v) The NHL playoffs could commence before ABU sees a game played
(vi) ?
(vii) ??

What I do know is that...I've got a ticket for the Knicks-vs-Pistons NBA match (Thursday 17 January)
Well, I live about twenty-five miles south of the O2 Arena (London)
But that's no excuse for not joining me (and the others) in ABU World

...and if you want another chuckle...check this thread out again tomorrow
BUT GET THAT SITEMAIL OFF TO THE COMMISH NOW (please)

1/16/2013 5:03 PM

So you couldn't stay away.
That temptation of something amusing was too much to resist.
Why, then, are there still FIVE vacancies for this World?

Read the following carefully, mull it over in your mind, and, then, no doubt try to repeat it to your partner, your children, your neighbours, even to yourself.

The very well respected and former president of South Africa is sitting at home watching the telly when he hears a knock at the door. When he opens it, he is confronted by a little Japanese man clutching a clip-board and yelling, "You sign, you sign!" Behind him is an enormous truck full of exhausts.
Mr Mandela is standing there in complete amazement when the Japanese man starts to yell louder, "You sign! You sign!!"
Mr Mandela says to him, "Look mate, you've obviously got the wrong bloke. Get lost." and shuts the door in his face.
The next day he hears a knock at the door again. When he opens it, the little Japanese man is back, with a huge truck full of break pads.
He trusts his clip-board under Mr Mandela's nose, yelling, "You sign! You sign!"
By now the former president is getting a bit hacked off, so he shoves the little Japanese man back, shouting, "Look, get lost! You've got the wrong bloke! I don't want them!" and proceeds to slam the door in the Japanese man's face again.
The following day Mr Mandela is resting and, late in the afternoon, hears a knock on the door again. Upon opening it, the same little Japanese man thrusts the same clip-board under his nose, shouting, "You sign! You sign!" Behind him are two trucks full of wing mirrors.
Mr Mandela loses his temper completely, picks up the Japanese man by his shirt front and yells at him, "Look I don't want these! Do you understand? You have the wrong man! Who do you want to give these to?"
The little Japanese man looks at him a little puzzled, consults his clip-board, and says, "You not Nissan Maindealer?"

Ok, ok. It isn't that funny.
Now remember, you actually came to this thread because of an interest in participating in another HBD World. The title, to save you looking it up, is American Baseball Union World and the very simple instructions on what to do are in the postings above this one. I am not the commissioner (jkenned is). I have never won the World Series title (here or in any other world); actually, I haven't even made the playoffs. I am not paid to write these promotional comments. I'm...

But time is passing and I've got to get ready for the Knicks-Pistons NBA match (London: tip-off 20.00 hours local - 15.00 EST).
Please, please, please. By my return I really hope the number of vacancies has reduced.

1/17/2013 10:07 AM
NY Knicks 102 - 87 Detroit Pistons
It wasn't close and I don't see either team being a challenge in the playoffs
(if they were a sim league team of mine...most of the players would fine themselves on the ww)

1/17/2013 7:24 PM
Two fonts walk into a bar.
The barman says to them, "Get out. We don't serve your type in here."

Now that is slightly amusing and comes on the great news that the number of vacant franchises is down to just FOUR.
That means 20% of yesterday's choices have gone.
It also means there are now 28 owners waiting patiently.

It also, also means the reward today is another 'funny'.
There was a man who painted rabbits all over his bald head.
Claimed they looked liked hares from a distance.

So whilst you're working that one out,
just remember its ABU World and the sitemail goes to jkenned
Thank you
1/18/2013 6:01 PM
It's Saturday and so for today three little quips to mull over
before you take the plunge and join ABU World
(just four vacancies: not one, not two, not three, but four - a quartet)

Postman: Is this letter for you? The name is smudged.
Woman: No, it can't be for me. My name is Smith.

Q. What is a water otter?
A. A kettle.

Mary was telling her friend about her new apartment.
"It's fantastic," she said. "I can lie in bed and watch the sun rise."
"So what, " replied her friend Joan. "In my house I can sit in a chair and watch the kitchen sink."

Please, by the time I check in again later, let's have this World down to a trio (maybe even a duo).
Thank you.
1/19/2013 2:27 PM
wow i can't believe we haven't filled yet
1/19/2013 9:06 PM
Since you have come back...again...and scrolled a long way down,
let me just remind you that this is American Baseball Union World
and there are a quartet of franchise available
(see the very first posting in this thread to make your selection)

Now its the start of a new week...
The 49ers will play the Ravens in the Super Bowl.
The Falcons and Patriots thought they should be in the SB.
I thought that the 49ers would play the Patriots.
and I wonder who went for a Falcons/Ravens finale?
The NHL season finally got underway...
same old faces in the standings basements (NYR included).
The Lakers lost in Toronto in a match-up I had them to win +15
but what do I know about gambling?
(apart from it seriously damaging your wallet)

Anyway, enough. Let's get this World filled and this is where your help would be really useful.
Only FOUR needed - less than an offensive front line.
More importantly time is running out: it's like we've hit the two-minute warning
and by the end of the week the World will go public:
doesn't mean you can't still join but any Tom, Dick and Harry could claim a team.
(Thought: if Tom, Dick and Harry all joined then there would only be one vacancy...and that ought to be you!)

As you've been so kind as to get this far,
please come back later and I'll will put up another little chuckle to cheer up Monday.
Thank you.
1/21/2013 5:44 AM
Some good teams are open in this league, only 1 of the open slots is probably a rebuilding project.
1/21/2013 11:17 AM
As promised in my earlier posting of today,
here is a little scenario to think over...

Her husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months yet she stayed by his bedside every day.
When he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer.
As she sat by him, he said, "You know what? You've been with me all through the bad times.
When I got fired, you were there to support me.
When my business failed, you were there.
When I got shot, you were by my side.
When we lost the house, you gave me support.
When my health started failing, you were still by my side."
She just smiled and held his hand.
He then continued, saying, "When I think about it now, I think you bring me bad luck."

Q. Which burns longer: a red candle or a white candle?

FOUR   ---    FOUR    ---    FOUR   ---    FOUR
That is the number of franchises from which to make your selection.
It is four too many!!!!
If you could find something in your heart to help ABU World it will be appreciated.
There are many making appeals right now.
They all have their good and bad points.
Why ABU? Me, for one, 27 others plus YOU? YOU? YOU? and YOU?

A. Neither, they both burn shorter.
1/21/2013 7:10 PM
This league definitely has some of the best advertisement for new owners. 
1/22/2013 9:20 AM
12 Next ▸
American Baseball Union - Season 18 - 2 Openings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.