Value of Athleticism Topic

After getting back into the game and reading a lot in the forum's I have come to learn that ATH is one of the more important attributes. I was wondering if my analysis is true and if so what is the standard amount of points that go towards conditioning? Also are there any other ways to improve my teams SPD and ATH?

Thanks

Xubrad

1/1/2013 4:10 PM

On ATH = true. As a fellow coach who played this a long time ago and had to learn the new game system, the main things I found were the value of Ath had increase somewhat and the value of defense had increased dramatically in comparison to when I last played (right as they were switching to the "potential" system.
On conditioning =  it depends on what the potentials are obviously. For a standard guy who isn't maxed out in ath/sp/stamina I try to put at least 14 minutes minimum in there.
Other ways = No. The only way to improve Ath and Speed are to recruit guys with high ceilings there and practice conditioning.

1/1/2013 5:11 PM
i usually practice at least 20m conditioning until people are about maxed out, and by then, usually they are maxed in other stuff, so i end up dumping even more into it. with ath, spd, sta all being major factors for guards, and ath/sta being major factors for bigs, i think its your best return on investment, in most cases.
1/1/2013 5:12 PM
ATH is important at all positions ... though I think it is more important at the 3, 4, and 5 positions than the 1 and 2.

The only way to grow ATH is to practice conditioning. (And to play minutes .. which causes everything to grow faster than players who play less minutes).
1/1/2013 5:41 PM
So is the consensus somewhere between 14-20 mins for practice in this area if not maxed out?
1/1/2013 6:28 PM
Yes, if at all possible you should try to get at least 14 minutes into Conditioning. Obviously more is better.
1/1/2013 7:33 PM
But there is no hard and fast rule.  If a post player is black in SPD and ATH, but say he is blue in REB and DEF and LP, you might spend less on conditioning - especially if you have enough bigs to cover the needed minutes

It all dependss.
1/1/2013 8:16 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 1/1/2013 5:41:00 PM (view original):
ATH is important at all positions ... though I think it is more important at the 3, 4, and 5 positions than the 1 and 2.

The only way to grow ATH is to practice conditioning. (And to play minutes .. which causes everything to grow faster than players who play less minutes).
Is this necessarily true?  I see teams run 3 guard teams all the time and i'm building a 4 guard one.  If you have a 3 or 4 who is more of a perimeter guy wouldn't athleticism not mean as much?  (I'm only talking about offensively)
1/1/2013 11:16 PM
i actually start FR above 20 all the time. once in a blue moon im at 18. especially with those low sta bigs, its normal for me to start fr in the 24-28 range. but as mets said, there is no hard and fast rule, it depends what you have. i tend to focus a lot on ath and spd in recruiting, so my players usually have room to grow there, and when thats the case, conditioning is usually your best bang for your buck. sometimes i have like, d1 bigs, maxed in both, but even then the sta alone is usually enough to merit 20. sta is that special rating, it does nothing to make a bad player better (well, a little, but generally speaking), but it can make a great player truly elite. or a good player great. so to have roughly half the core ratings run off the same practice, its usually the clear winner in my book.
1/2/2013 1:50 AM
Posted by therewas47 on 1/1/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):

Is this necessarily true?  I see teams run 3 guard teams all the time and i'm building a 4 guard one.  If you have a 3 or 4 who is more of a perimeter guy wouldn't athleticism not mean as much?  (I'm only talking about offensively)
... Yes, ath is very very good to have even at the one and two. Remember, even if it doesn't mean as much offensively, ya still gotta talk about defense.
1/2/2013 7:18 AM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/2/2013 7:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 1/1/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):

... Yes, ath is very very good to have even at the one and two. Remember, even if it doesn't mean as much offensively, ya still gotta talk about defense.
That isn't the exact point I was trying make. One of the things I believe that ath does is help interior positioning. I was saying if you have a perimeter oriented big man, does ath mean as much on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously all positions need ath but I was talking about perimeter 3,4, and 5's relative to their post oriented counterparts.
1/2/2013 10:43 AM
Value of Athleticism Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.