Pinch hitting pitchers Topic

I've done a forum search but didn't find an answer.   I have pitchers on my team and I would like to set them as the top pinch hitters in the hierarchy, but that pull-down only calls for position players.  Any suggestions about how to do this?
With thanks - 2bvision
1/2/2013 5:34 PM
you would have to set all of your bench players to "rest." then sparky will choose a pitcher to PH, if sparky chooses to PH at all.
1/2/2013 5:52 PM
Perfect. Thank you pfattkatt.
1/2/2013 5:58 PM
I would think you'd have to consider these as well:

1.  The pinch hitting pitcher would no longer be available to enter the game later to pitch (assuming he wasn't on rest to begin with) or he'd have to immediately enter the game as the pitcher in the next half inning (assuming he isn't lifted for a PR if he gets on base).

2.  If you put all your bench players to "rest", its highly unlikely that sparky will PH later in the game (unless you want him to use more PH pitchers).  So I don't think there's a good way to have the pitcher PH first followed by your best available positional ones.
1/2/2013 6:09 PM
Good points, buddhagamer, and thank you for taking the time.  The only two guys I really want to pinch hit for my team are great hitting 1800s pitchers (Smith and Kelly).  Understood that they wouldn't be able to pitch afterward unless they came in the game.  So, with high IP 1800s starters, and with two pitching PHs, I'm "probably" in good shape if he only uses them for PH and on position players.  This is all great feedback.
1/2/2013 7:25 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
  Thanks, contrarian23. So if I put the bench players back on the bench, I wonder then if Sparky will look over the pitchers when deciding whom he wants to use when deciding on a pinch hitter-notice that their average is much higher than any bench player and use them.
1/3/2013 1:34 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
contrarian, ah I failed to follow the insight to your first point with tenacity, verve and aplomb!   I can't imagine needing to ever pinch hit for my position players anyway so I'll go back to resting them. 
1/3/2013 11:01 AM
I think that you can do what you want if you play live, though having never played live, I am only guessing.
1/3/2013 2:41 PM
only pitchers in the starting rotation will PH, never from the bullpen. If they're fatigued between starts they won't hit as well. also a pitcher will only PH for another pitcher, never for a weaker position player.
I used the PH hititng pitcher startegy in the past, before pitchres hitting was included in the salary formula. You have to be an active manager and you give up the use of your bench.
1/5/2013 1:09 AM
The only way I'm aware of to get a pitcher to hit in place of a hitter is to have the hitter and his replacements fatigued below their autorest. Sparky will then start a pitcher at the other position (best used in DH leagues as Sparky pays no mind to fielding grades when making this decision, and as best I can tell, also pays no attention to hitting stats or abilities, so you need all of your pitchers to be able to hit or else you'll inevitably end up with the weakest hitting pitcher batting). Like rbow says, Sparky won't put in a pitcher that is fatigued, so it'll choose whichever pitcher is at 100% and then I'm not sure what the secondary determinant is.
1/5/2013 3:18 AM
In a recent game in one of the leagues I am in Sparky used both Randy Johnson(100%) and  Freddy Garcia(97%) as pinch hitters for Rich Delucia and Dennis Powell but didn't use either of them in the pitching role and instead replaced them both on the mound with  Mike Schooler(69%) and Jamie Moyer(81%). All of my position players had already been used before either came in to pinch hit. I'm not sure yet why Sparky didn't keep Johnson or Garcia in to pitch but am going with the relief pitcher setting   limited their use in relief as long as there are other relief pitchers available.

Coincidentally, in the same game, Sparky replaced my opponents Albert Belle with Bartolo Colon....as a pinch runner.
1/5/2013 11:39 AM
Based on these comments, especially the one about only starters being available to PH, I'll drop my PH strategy.   These two pitchers are definitely bullpen pitchers - if that -  but with great averages.  Thanks to all for input.  It is really appreciated.
1/9/2013 9:33 PM
Pinch hitting pitchers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.