Throwing to your TE more often... Topic

Fairly new to GD here. Played a couple of seasons a while back. Took a break and now I'm back for the long term.

This topic has probably come up before, I just haven't read through all the threads (my apologies) and figured I'd toss it out here to get a little assistance.

My question is: How do you get your TE involved more in the passing game?

I assumed that setting my passing to "conservative" or "very conservative" would do the trick, but have seen mixed results. Of course, just because I'm not getting the desired result doesn't mean I'm not doing the right thing. As in GD, just as in life, things aren't always going to go as planned. However, I'm just curious to know if I'm on the right track with the "conservative" passing idea.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your help in advance.

the ATLien
1/3/2013 1:25 AM
I'm not aware of any way to get your TE (or RBs for that matter) more involved.  Some say, and it makes sense, that a more conservative passing game will get the ball to the TE a bit more.  However, I usually have a TE in my top 3 receivers each season while running a more aggressive passing approach out of Trips and I-Form.  I don't keep track of which formation gives the TE more receptions....but I believe that no matter what settings you use, the % differential in opportunity for the TE to make a play is so low that it does not matter.  Just get the best TE you can find and put him in the game.
1/3/2013 9:01 AM
ND box has two TEs in it that should help. Maybe someone can help us with this:

Very Conservative = screens to RB?
Conservative = short routes to RBs and TEs?
Balanced = ?
Aggressive = More out routes and WR routes?    
Very Aggressive = Deep posts and seem routes to WRs?
1/3/2013 11:27 AM
Posted by mcroker90 on 1/3/2013 11:27:00 AM (view original):

Balanced = ?
Theoretically.

1/3/2013 11:45 AM
I was using ND Box exclusively for awhile and my QB still mainly threw to the one WR... drove me nuts.
1/3/2013 12:13 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/3/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

Balanced = ?
Theoretically.

Can someone confirm this?
1/3/2013 12:14 PM
It is theoretically correct, but cannot be confirmed.  Its one of those things in this game that eludes us as coaches....you don't know and you can't control it.  Even throwing out of the wishbone puts more passes to the single WR (well...catches at least...I may need to go back and re-look at total throws to a position).
1/3/2013 12:37 PM
It looks like we'll have more control of this in the new engine
1/3/2013 3:02 PM
Posted by mcroker90 on 1/3/2013 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 1/3/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

Balanced = ?
Theoretically.

Can someone confirm this?
Yes, this is theoretical.
1/3/2013 5:17 PM
Roflmao....
1/3/2013 5:33 PM
Easy Mojo!!! you could injure yourself doing that. 
1/3/2013 5:44 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it. And, yeah, from what I've read... the new gameplan setup deal will be pretty nice and give us more freedom. Looking forward to it. No real complaints about the game as it is either, though. It's not perfect, but what IS perfect? I really enjoy it.

Thanks again, guys. I'll keep rolling and see what happens.

the ATLien
1/3/2013 6:47 PM
I posted this before but I run a Pro offense with a mix of Trips and my TEs tend to be AAs at the end of the season.  Not giving you more on what my gameplan is as far as aggressiveness since I have only one team, ha.
1/3/2013 7:18 PM
Ha! Nice! Thanks, trombumpet. Understand on not giving up too much info. I appreciate what you have given though.
1/3/2013 8:45 PM
Throwing to your TE more often... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.