How best to handle practice time distribution? Topic

I always wonder if I distribute my minutes most efficiently. I typically put a minimum of 18 into conditioning for all players, 8 in FT at all times (unless everything else is red), 20-25 in the categories I want to improve. I rarely put anything less than 10 in a category as I wouldn't think it would be as effective as putting those extra minutes in another category. Obviously this is a very situational question but how do you guys tend to do your minutes?
Is there a point where I can stop putting points into conditioning or will the players lose too much? Can I do less?

What is the minimum amount of minutes that are worthwhile to put into a category to see an improvement? Like say for instance I have 45 minutes to distribute, and I have 3 categories with the exact same rating and potential, would it be more efficient to put 15 into each of the 3 categories or distribute them between two categories so those 2 categories would both have 20-25 minutes? I know that's very depend on WE and what I hope to gain out of the player, but I'm just curious what some of the more experienced players think.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1/8/2013 9:36 PM

May god have mercy on your soul.

1/8/2013 9:46 PM
Did I do something wrong?
1/8/2013 10:17 PM
No, you did not.

May god have mercy on our souls, because you've actually won a national championship.
1/8/2013 10:26 PM
I'm not sure what you mean either, nacho.

Russ, I would say that 12+ minutes in any given category is enough for the player to improve significantly.  Even a low (30ish) WE guy will eventually max out if you give him 12 minutes in a category his whole career.  I would think that's true even if it's a "very high" potential.  Now, if he plays 5 minutes a game and never starts, maybe not, but you know what I mean.
1/9/2013 12:50 AM

I always put 12 into FT until they reach red, then I drop to 8.  It really depends on the player, though.  If I have a post player with low rebounding, he'll obviously get the bulk of the minutes up to 25 or sometimes even 30.  How many minutes are you spending on off and def?  That also has a lot to do with how you set your  minutes.  If I have a very young team, I'll do 25/25 or 30/30, which would obviously leave me with mostly 10's and 8's across the board. 

1/9/2013 1:58 PM
I typically do my off/def minutes the same way. If it's a young team I will give them around 25/25. If it's an older team I give something like 15/15 depending on their IQs. However, it sounds like you distribute your remaining minutes a little bit more across the board. For me, say I have 25/25, that leaves me with 80 minutes to distribute and I'll typically go with 8 in FT, 18-25 in conditioning, some amount in study hall, then the rest I'll distribute between 2-3 categories. I put zeroes in everything else. Do you find it works better to have 8-12 points in 5-6 categories vs 20-25 points in 2-3 categories? Obviously it'd depend on the player, but I find myself wondering this a lot with FR who have, say, 7 blue categories. I've been typically focusing on the most important categories of improvement to me, which might lead to a growth of 15-20 points in that category over the season while a category I put nothing in loses 4-5 points.

Again, thanks for the input, guys.

1/9/2013 3:38 PM
To be fair, he's only been playing a few seasons and won the NC at D3. 
1/9/2013 4:40 PM
Like you pointed out, it really depends a lot on the individual and the team makeup, but I think it's a good question.  It is pretty important, imo, to have an efficient practice plan and regularly check on it and make changes.

That being said, I'm more of a "15-20 to a few things" kind of guy.  For players with too much potential to practice it all, I like to specialize them depending on either what the team needs more of or what the player himself needs more of.  Some easy examples:  player with 50-High Per on a team that needs another quality shooter; 30-High Def where I need the Def higher to feel ok starting him; team lacks Passing overall, so I might train the backup PG's 55-High Passing extra hard.

I agree that it seems like a waste to spend 7-10 minutes maintaining a rating in that scenario.  I'm fine with letting something less important drop a few points at the expense of the ones that I need to improve. 

Another thing I like to do pretty often that's similar is treat ratings turning red as "maxed out."  If there's another rating where I can get improvement, I'll shuffle the minutes over there instead of trying to grind out those last few points of Reb or whatever.  A lot of the time they'll pick up those last few points in the offseason anyway.
1/10/2013 12:29 PM
How best to handle practice time distribution? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.