Simple HBD Organization Template (Google Drive) Topic

I've been using this template for both of my HBD teams for a few seasons, and I think it's been useful for me as far as the big picture goes. I'm sharing it with everyone on the forums because I think it could help newer owners such as myself to plan out who's going to be a FA, who hits arb, etc. It's a simple Google doc, so there's no macros or anything like that. If you want to use this, you'll have to either A) Click File > Download as Excel and simply use it in Excel rather than a Google doc or B) Download the file in Excel format and re-upload to your own Google Drive (if you want to be able to edit it from anywhere this would be my suggestion)

Of course, my template is not an end be all, you may find something that you don't like with it or have add-ons of your own. I have contemplated making an equivalent to the "Franchise Payroll Analysis" page but that just seemed like overkill so I haven't done it. I've left my Minnesota team in Boston Tea Party in the template as an example of how I use it. 

Enjoy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuGea4ZOcIIndGw1djNuYlhXYmhJeXFYRXRrdHpUX0E#gid=0

1/10/2013 4:16 PM
That's pretty darn good.  I have one that is much more complex than that and has more information on it, but I like the simplicity of yours better than the detail of mine.  
1/10/2013 10:17 PM
I like the simplicity of yours. I've built a pretty complex spreadsheet to track my players, but I like the way you set it up, and I might incorporate your ideas into mine someway. Thanks for sharing.
1/11/2013 4:02 PM
Same with the other guys, mines pretty complex. I like to incorporate everything, like where my current (and future) money is going, as well as who's playing where. Helps me quickly check out some different scenarios in terms of player acquisitions and budget setting. Also helps me from screwing things up, because I set various tests in Excel to notify me if I'm going over budget or running my future budget way too high. One thing looking at yours that I don't do is track option years. Gonna have to steal that one from ya.
1/12/2013 1:32 AM (edited)
I wrote down all my players with player notes on separate sheets of notebook paper. I did a depth chart on paper as well for only my ML team.  I did all this in pencil as players were demoted and promoted I erased them and put them on their respective paper.  This was working ok, but now I am trying to print out the depth chart (in the reports sector) with all levels and have a key at the bottom with things such as PML = possible major leaguer BML = Backup Major Leaguer S = Speed Player P = Raw Power hitter, etc, etc. The only problem with this is when a player is demoted or promoted its hard to write over the printed little form. I kind of like the way you are doing it, focusing more on the ML. I like the spreadsheet idea but when guys move or get demoted you have to move them on the spreadsheet. 
1/12/2013 10:20 AM
Posted by chisox378 on 1/12/2013 10:20:00 AM (view original):
I wrote down all my players with player notes on separate sheets of notebook paper. I did a depth chart on paper as well for only my ML team.  I did all this in pencil as players were demoted and promoted I erased them and put them on their respective paper.  This was working ok, but now I am trying to print out the depth chart (in the reports sector) with all levels and have a key at the bottom with things such as PML = possible major leaguer BML = Backup Major Leaguer S = Speed Player P = Raw Power hitter, etc, etc. The only problem with this is when a player is demoted or promoted its hard to write over the printed little form. I kind of like the way you are doing it, focusing more on the ML. I like the spreadsheet idea but when guys move or get demoted you have to move them on the spreadsheet. 
Thanks for the comments guys. It can be annoying to move players around on the sheet since it's all manual, but I'll generally only do that about halfway through the year (after the draft/a big IFA signing) and update that sheet, and then once again just after the season is over. Keeps the editing to a minimum, and refreshes me on what positions I need to fill in the offseason.
1/12/2013 11:29 AM
This kind of stuff is awesome and I've dabbled with my own similar goodocs, but at one point I realized I had turned HBD into something too much like my own occupation, so I stopped with the chart-keeping and just wing it. I think I enjoy HBD as much as I used to but I'm not sure if it affected my success or lack of success.
1/12/2013 11:36 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 1/12/2013 11:36:00 AM (view original):
This kind of stuff is awesome and I've dabbled with my own similar goodocs, but at one point I realized I had turned HBD into something too much like my own occupation, so I stopped with the chart-keeping and just wing it. I think I enjoy HBD as much as I used to but I'm not sure if it affected my success or lack of success.
Yea no doubt it can be taken too far.  I take a train to and fro work so sometimes I like to dabble with the stats, thats why I like to have a printout.  I really like the idea of making notes for players just at a few points in the season as the person mentioned above. That way it doesnt become too much and you can still look at your squads without trying to make it perfect at all times.
1/12/2013 12:21 PM
Believe me I totally get it, it's just finding that sweet spot where it's still fun and not just another chore. In the other dynasty sims, I found recruiting eventually took on that' chore' feeling.
1/12/2013 1:25 PM
yea thats a great point.
1/12/2013 3:57 PM
I also have a complex spreadsheet....but this is a great way to simplify it. Also, I think it would be interesting to have a league full of people who utilize spreadsheets if at all possible.
1/13/2013 6:01 PM
Is there any place where people would like to share their spreadsheets?  I would like to see what is out there and if they could help me.  If not would some sitemail me and maybe I can get it from you?  Thanks!
1/14/2013 12:03 PM
This is a sheet I have for one of my current teams. Looks a little funky because I use straight up excel instead of google spreadsheets and didn't bother importing anything. I should also update it due to the fact that we passed free agency and arb.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B5AdPcx_u_oKWHJiMlJKWUJQWWc/edit
1/15/2013 1:12 AM
Bigs, can you send a different link? its telling me i need to request access(which i just did). Or just allow the access. Thanks
1/15/2013 12:08 PM
Whoops, sorry bout that. Just made it public.
1/16/2013 7:34 AM
12 Next ▸
Simple HBD Organization Template (Google Drive) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.