Points in the Paint Topic

All:

When setting your defensive +/-, how much emphasis do you place on PIP? Does having a low PIP mean that the team is necessarily shooting a lot of outside shots? My assumption is that if it's not in the paint, it's either a mid-range J type shot or a three. Do fastbreak points mean layups? can they be other types of shots?

I've been looking at PIP when setting up +/- and the switch between 2-3 and 3-2... I haven't had much success though.

I'm looking for a little insight on how to set +/- other than looking at 3 pt %. There's gotta be more to it.

Thanks in advance,

AP

1/10/2013 6:06 PM
Look at PER ratings of the other team's players (not the average, the individual players) and also the number of 3s taken.

If the other team has no one over 75 PER, you should strongly consider going negative on +/-, unless they usually take a ton of 3s.
1/10/2013 8:21 PM
Other coaches may have different approaches but this is how I consider +/- settings. I don't look strictly at 3-point %. I consider the number of 3-point attempts vs overall attempts. If at least 2 opposing players have 50% or more of their attempts as 3's, then I set +/- at 0 and go with 2-3. If 3 or more opposing players have 50% or greater 3's, then I go + and/or 3-2. Also, I consider the total 3's made by the team and use the same logic. If they have dominant inside shooters, I consider going with a 3-2 but at a - setting. You can't focus on one single factor when game planning.
1/10/2013 8:24 PM
Thanks guys,

So are you saying that PIP is meaningless and that +/- should only take into account 3's? Would playing a +1 or even +2 not limit mid-range shooting % (at least it seems to me like it would, in theory)?

1/10/2013 11:50 PM
PIP is meaningless. You want to look at how many 3s they take and what their PER is.

Not aware of any research anyone has done on the effect of +/- on mid range shooting. But those are the least efficient shots in the game for the offense, so better to focus on 3s and inside shots, which is what +/- allows you to do.
1/11/2013 12:06 AM
Posted by Weena on 1/10/2013 8:24:00 PM (view original):
Other coaches may have different approaches but this is how I consider +/- settings. I don't look strictly at 3-point %. I consider the number of 3-point attempts vs overall attempts. If at least 2 opposing players have 50% or more of their attempts as 3's, then I set +/- at 0 and go with 2-3. If 3 or more opposing players have 50% or greater 3's, then I go + and/or 3-2. Also, I consider the total 3's made by the team and use the same logic. If they have dominant inside shooters, I consider going with a 3-2 but at a - setting. You can't focus on one single factor when game planning.
What he said.
1/11/2013 12:09 AM
This may seem foolish, but where are you seeing the points in the paint stat? I've looked quite a bit and if it's there I'm still missing it.
1/11/2013 8:42 AM
bottom of the boxscore page, fifth line up from the bottom/.
1/11/2013 8:47 AM
Thanks.
1/11/2013 9:11 AM
I don't think PIP is meaningless, but when running a zone, you have to pay attention to where the scoring is coming from. If it's coming from guards, Iike to go 3-2 and then maybe sag, but if it's mostly bigs, I will likely go 2-3.
1/12/2013 8:54 AM
I think looking at PIP is a good bit of research, but i'm not sure what it correlates to. I'm almost certain you can tell something about the team you're playing by looking at their PIP but i honestly have no idea what.
1/12/2013 10:21 AM
Points in the Paint Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.