Justin Upton's No-trade List Topic

Mariners, Cubs, Red Sox, Blue Jays

I'm kind of intrigued by this list. Whats the pattern here?
1/10/2013 11:46 PM
AMERIKAN ****** TEAMS+ CANADIEN TAXES
1/11/2013 6:18 AM

They were all sh*tty teams when he named them. The Jays got good after the fact. I'm sure Upton would change his tune now.

1/11/2013 6:24 PM
Maybe he legitimately didn't want to go to the Mariners, but as for the rest of them, this seems more likely:

These lists can usually be changed each off-season, and they generally are adjusted for leverage purposes. Agents stay on top of the rumor mill, and they figure out where the most likely destinations are for their client if he is going to be traded, then choose those organizations as the teams to block, giving them the most amount of leverage possible.

1/11/2013 6:35 PM
That wouldn't surprise me, as I heard Upton named his teams after this year's WS. But you can't deny all 4 seriously sucked at that time.
1/11/2013 6:39 PM
The Yankees were on his list last season instead of the M's, they didn't suck. He changed it when he could because the M's were a likely trade target.
1/11/2013 6:49 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/11/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
That wouldn't surprise me, as I heard Upton named his teams after this year's WS. But you can't deny all 4 seriously sucked at that time.
That much is true, but there's a lot of terrible teams that aren't on the list, and I'm guessing that if Upton was picking the 4 teams he'd actually least like to play for, it's not those 4.
1/11/2013 6:50 PM
So, going back to the original question of the thread, the pattern is those teams all were perceived as a being fit for his services and as having the means to deal for him.

And maybe it's not all about leverage, maybe he legitimately doesn't want to several of those places, but I bet there are several places he'd less like to go that aren't on the list because they don't think it would ever come up.
1/11/2013 6:55 PM
Another speculation I heard was that he will be searching for a big contract in a few years and Seattle would kill his stats.
1/11/2013 7:01 PM
Mariners-stat killer stadium
Cubs-check his day game stats(just a hunch)
Red Sux-RACISTS!!!
Jays-Canuckada
1/11/2013 8:34 PM
Checked.  Day/night about the same.   Stinks out loud in Wrigley though.
1/11/2013 8:38 PM
At least you checked. I love all the people screaming "He's great in Arizona, sh*t everywhere else!!"

Considering Arizona is a launching pad, and he plays a huge chunk of his road games in SD, LA and SF, one should expect a huge split. I think he'd light it up in the AL East, playing all those games in TO, Baltimore and Fenway. The Yankees and O's should both be very interested.
1/11/2013 10:37 PM
ARENT THE SCRUBS ON EVERY MLB PLAYERS LIST?

YE KNOW YER NOT WINNING A WORLD SERIES THERE

1908 4EVAH!
1/12/2013 6:27 AM
Justin Upton's No-trade List Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.