Pitcher Performance History "Worst" Topic

When I look at pitcher performance history I notice that players will have a pretty good line for their "best" seasons, but often times an unbelievably horrible "worst" season line.   Some of these guys are so far out past a normal assumed deviation that it makes you wonder how/why they had those seasons?  I'll look at my favorite cookies too and I know there is no way one of the best guys in the OL sim had a season of 25 IP, 40 HR's and and ERA over 10.  Are these results of a super-hitting theme league?  Do owners find the "cookie" guys and purposely tank a whose season through managerial settings to downplay their worth?
1/16/2013 1:41 PM
My theory is that these were pitchers on an abandonned team or the owner didn't draft enough IP and fatigue killed these players. I typically ignore the Worst for this reason.
1/16/2013 4:49 PM
Performance histories are Open Leagues only, afaik. And I doubt owners tank players for the performance history -- wasting 12.95 is not worth increasing your chances to win a team that costs 12.95...

That said, put an OL team in Coors, get another handful of Coors/AFC/etc. teams in the league and watch the HRs crank up... bad seasons do happen, especially if pitchers start pitching fatigued...
1/16/2013 4:49 PM
Posted by frazzman80 on 1/16/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
My theory is that these were pitchers on an abandonned team or the owner didn't draft enough IP and fatigue killed these players. I typically ignore the Worst for this reason.
This is just one of the reasons I don't much a tremendous amount of stock in performance histories.
1/16/2013 5:50 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/16/2013 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by frazzman80 on 1/16/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
This is just one of the reasons I don't much a tremendous amount of stock in performance histories.
I don't either, but some of these lines are incredible.
1/17/2013 10:35 AM
I actually put a large amount of stock in them. If you know how to read them, you can glean tons of useful information on how a player will perform.
1/17/2013 10:06 PM
Posted by just4me on 1/17/2013 10:06:00 PM (view original):
I actually put a large amount of stock in them. If you know how to read them, you can glean tons of useful information on how a player will perform.
The performance history goes back to 2008.  Since then, there have been sim engine changes, salary adjustments, changes in the minimum number of PA & IP, etc.
1/17/2013 10:17 PM
Pitcher Performance History "Worst" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.