Mike Smith Topic

Due to John Fox blundering his way thru the DEN/BALT game, Smith has been overlooked.

To me, he tried to give the game to SEA.    With 13 seconds left, two timeouts and down by 2, he rushed to the referee in order to call a timeout.   I thought "Well, they're going to center the ball with a run and call their final timeout with 3-4 seconds left."  Nope, I was wrong.  The FG team took the field for 49 yard FG attempt that would leave 7-9 seconds on the clock.    Then, in something that is completely insane, they attempt what looks like an onside kick.   Maybe there was some "miscommunication" but it seems like Bryant, not some rookie, would have said "To be clear, you want me to kick the ball 10 yards?" 

I'm trying to think of a reason Smith ran to call the timeout.   Maybe he was thinking fumbled snap, timeout and attempt a longer FG?

I can't think of any scenario that would call for an onside kick.   None.
1/17/2013 8:45 AM
The timeout he rushed to call with 13 seconds left was their last timeout.  They weren't going to get another play off after the FG attempt, if something went wrong (unless their holder somehow got an incomplete pass off that wasn't Intentional Grounding).
1/17/2013 9:37 AM
And I can't believe that kickoff was anything but a very poorly executed squib kick.
1/17/2013 9:37 AM
OK, I thought they had two.  So it makes zero sense to call one with 13 seconds left.

That did not look like a squib kick at all.   As soon as Bryant touched it, he chased it. 
1/17/2013 9:42 AM
Smith panicked and called the TO too early.  Poor on his part.  I'm would assume the kick was the kickers fault.

Even if you want to leave some time on the clock in case the snap or hold is bad, you don't need 13 seconds.  7, maybe.
1/17/2013 11:27 AM
Mike Smith Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.