Free Agency question Topic

For a FA, I offered more money, but less years to a player and lost him to another franchise. To be fair his goal was to make the playoffs (and my team stunk last year), but my contract monetary value was significantly more. Did the playoffs/less years influence him (the player was 33, perhaps looking for more paychecks?)

New to the game.

Thanks
1/17/2013 9:18 AM
More total money or more per season?
1/17/2013 9:28 AM
More total money and more per year. I offered 4 years, apparently he signed for 5. The 1st year salary was much lower than the later year salaries too if thats significant. 
1/17/2013 9:38 AM
I'm not questioning your math skills but if you offered 4x8 and he offer 5x7, he offered more total money.    Was there any bonus money involved?
1/17/2013 9:50 AM
Well is there anyway you could see what bonus the other person gave? 

I offered no bonus in the 1st year (1st year Salary was higher than players yearly average demands, but much lower than the salaries i offered in lower years, contract was heavily backloaded). I can't remember the individual yearly amounts anymore, but I know my total contact offer was more than the other person's contract offer assuming they didn't offer a bonus. If they did, then perhaps that was it... 

EDIT: I found where you could check contract details, he didn't offer a bonus either.

I'm very confused now. The only advantage he seems to have is that he gave 5 years as opposed to 4, but I offered more money overall and thus a higher yearly salary. He also gave a mutual option though too. 

1/17/2013 10:07 AM (edited)
Then I have no idea.  What you're describing isn't how I've known it to work.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
1/17/2013 10:11 AM
was it because the free agent remarks were that he wanted to make the playoffs and my team didn't last year (As opposed to the the team he did sign for)? Maybe I'm misremembering how much I offered him, but I'm like 90% sure I did. Is there any way to check how much I offered the player? Is there someone I can email to look into this? 
1/17/2013 10:14 AM
There's no way for you to double check what you offered once he's signed.   No trade clauses, options, coaches, records, etc, etc are "tie-breakers" of sorts but you're saying there was no tie wrt money.

You could send a ticket to customer support(link at the bottom of the page) and they might be able to tell you what happened.
1/17/2013 10:20 AM
In general do players care more about total money or yearly salary when their remarks are "I'll be honest I'll play for whoever shows me the money".

Thus would they prefer a 5 year contract for 35mill or a 4 year contract for 31 million? 
1/17/2013 3:43 PM
Total money.  4x10 < 5x8.2
1/17/2013 3:57 PM
Free Agency question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.