change players position Topic

Is there a time frame when I cannot change a player's position.  Our world is in the playoffs, and I can't seem to change the positions of some of my players even though I have been eliminated from the playoffs.  Any help?
1/22/2013 1:51 AM
You can't change positions once the regular season ends. Not sure of the exact reason, but I suspect its to prevent owners from trying to manipulate potential compensation for departing free agents, since compensation is based on certain percentages of available players in various position groups.

Although if that is the case, it would be easy to circumvent just by changing positions some time before the final regular season game. So maybe that's not the only reason.
1/22/2013 4:14 AM
I've always felt that the positional thing had a problem.

I would like to see a minimum # of MiLB games played at a position, before you can play that position in the majors....or you become a terrible fielder at that position with some basically low ratings.

2B/SS/3B types should be able to bounce back and forth.

But a guy with great RF numbers shouldn't become a adequate 3B just like that, if he's never played the position before.

CF-2B, too...you get the idea.

1/22/2013 9:49 AM
Absolutely. In this game everybody is a utility guy that moves wherever you'd like them to. In addition, guys with poor make up should react to the position change with a ratings drop.
1/22/2013 10:38 AM
Posted by volk on 1/22/2013 4:14:00 AM (view original):
You can't change positions once the regular season ends. Not sure of the exact reason, but I suspect its to prevent owners from trying to manipulate potential compensation for departing free agents, since compensation is based on certain percentages of available players in various position groups.

Although if that is the case, it would be easy to circumvent just by changing positions some time before the final regular season game. So maybe that's not the only reason.
I believe FA compensataion status and most everything else position-related is determined by what WIS determines is players' ideal position, not by where owners list them.
1/22/2013 12:34 PM
Totally agree with moe and hyptnotoad. I've thought of something like leaving the fielding ratings alone, but simply having positions of OF, IF, C, OF/IF...

Haven't completely thought it out yet either. Lol.

1/22/2013 1:13 PM
If you could go back to the origin of HBD in 2006 and sneak more ratings in there, I'd love to have a 'Skill' rating for each position or position group. The Skill rating could then increase with playing time, coaching, etc. That would introduce a whole new layer of ratings and complexity though so it's easy to see why it's not there.
1/22/2013 2:15 PM
Thats not a bad idea. It would also give some usefulness to the minors as you could send players down there to develop at the position you'd like them to go to.
1/22/2013 2:44 PM
Well but then you'd have to make sure they don't get a demotion penalty.  The whole thing seems a little complicated to put into play.

1/22/2013 2:47 PM
It would make Spring Training more interesting. Maybe give ST time a bonus multiple for position purposes.
1/22/2013 3:03 PM
change players position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.