double teaming a PG Topic

theories on double teaming a point guard..... i have a team i'm facing with a outstanding point guard who has to be 25% of their offense... i'm scared to doubleteam being as the PG is the last person id like to doubleteam, being athletic and quick... but I don't want to put my best defender at PG position because of ball handling skills   

any input please?

1/25/2013 10:17 AM
zbolton, if it were my team, I think I'd put your less good BH, very good defender on his scorer at PG, and play a +2 or more on him. Now the +2 might give his really good rebounders, who are also decent athletes a field day on the off boards, but it may be worth the gamble. Maybe you back off  to 0 or maybe -1, and rely on your defender to slow down the PG. They don't play press, and your good defender's BH isn't all that low for D3. Plus, you'll get YOUR scorer matched against his C IQ, 38 SPD defender. I'd go slowdown, and play your most important players at getting tired. Let me know if you see it differently or if you need anything else. Good luck in the game.
1/25/2013 10:53 AM
i havent played slow down all season, you think thats the best route? i typcially play my first and 2nd team at getting tired... should i switch my subs to "fairly fresh"? my team has fairly good stamina
1/25/2013 11:30 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by zbolton1 on 1/25/2013 11:30:00 AM (view original):
i havent played slow down all season, you think thats the best route? i typcially play my first and 2nd team at getting tired... should i switch my subs to "fairly fresh"? my team has fairly good stamina
I never play my backups at Getting Tired - that would ensure that they'll sometimes be playing at GT while your starters are sitting on the bench at Fairly Fresh. Pretty sure you don't want that.
1/25/2013 12:46 PM
I play slowdown any time I'm a clear underdog, especially on the road. I think you'd consider a win here a bit unexpected, so trying to shorten the game is a good idea. Also, playing reserves at getting tired tends to defeat the purpose of choosing starters, since the reserves are staying in past peak effectiveness, while your best players wait on the bench. You can set your most important starters, where there's a very clear advantage over the reserve, to getting tired, and set the starters that are only a little better than reserve to fairly fresh. Good luck.
1/25/2013 12:54 PM
each has their own.....i dont like to use it but looking at the Stamina of each team...i would cosider even UT againts them,
1/25/2013 7:07 PM
you know that was sort of my logic.. it was stupid on my part not realizing that putting my subs on "getting tired" was counteraffective..  but I'm not a "clear" underdog in my opinion, based on the line im only +5 on the road..... I was thinking that if this guy wants to run, I set my playing time right and let's run... I think I got the advantage in stamina... but this is my first game with my depth chart playing time set accurately and IDK if I want to test it on a game that if I win and the season plays out as it should, I should get in the NT

winning this game is going to help RPI/SOS big time

1/25/2013 8:26 PM (edited)
as I said i hardly use it (UT). but when a significant advantage I do (usually when playing a clear Overmatched team so bench gets some time..setting when a blow out play bench...shich helps growth i assume). But if I had advantage as underdog, I would use it....just me
1/25/2013 9:13 PM
and you think stamina is a big enough advantage when he's running uptempo?
1/25/2013 10:58 PM
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that your starter would come back into the game regardless of whether or not your backup player is fatigued, as soon as the starter is rested.

This would mean that if PG2 comes in for PG1, even if PG2 is set at Foul Trouble Only ... when PG1 has rested enough to get back in the game, he will come back in for PG2.

You guys seem to be saying that PG1 can't come back in until PG2 hits his fatigue ... I don't think that is true. At least it should not be true. The starter should play whenever he can based on his fatigue, unless he is on the bench because you have "Let backups play" and you meet those conditions.
1/27/2013 8:39 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 1/27/2013 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that your starter would come back into the game regardless of whether or not your backup player is fatigued, as soon as the starter is rested.

This would mean that if PG2 comes in for PG1, even if PG2 is set at Foul Trouble Only ... when PG1 has rested enough to get back in the game, he will come back in for PG2.

You guys seem to be saying that PG1 can't come back in until PG2 hits his fatigue ... I don't think that is true. At least it should not be true. The starter should play whenever he can based on his fatigue, unless he is on the bench because you have "Let backups play" and you meet those conditions.
I agree with you Hughes.
1/28/2013 2:43 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/28/2013 2:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 1/27/2013 8:39:00 PM (view original):

I agree with you Hughes.
Because he is correct.

f the starter can play (based on his fatigue level) he does so, even if the backup has yet to fit his fatigue removal level (assuming no blowout, foul trouble, etc.).
1/28/2013 10:22 AM
Then that means setting a backup (PG2) to Getting Tired or Tired can be an effective method to list a 3rd guy (PG3) to play very little or when someone fouls out ... but not during normal circumstances and not impact when the starter (PG1) returns. At least that has been my experience.
1/28/2013 11:04 AM
double teaming a PG Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.