Recruiting Observation for New Players Topic

Bryant is wrapping up it recruiting in a day or so. Even though my class finished, I ran yatzr's tool on the recruits again. From what I can see there are only 2 recruits with multiple people still on them. Meaning, nearly all of the recruiting battles are over.

Now imagine you were just now starting your recruiting, you'd probably think the was no hope of putting together a decent class. Well, here is what left among the undecideds that no one in D2 Bryant wanted. Let's take a hypothetical class of 14 and just take the best GUESS player available for each position:

QB - 42.41
RB - 50.75
RB - 49.44
WR - 52.42
WR - 50.63
TE - 53.05
OL - 51.22
OL - 49.44
DL - 52.06
DL - 50.06
LB - 55.16
LB - 50.93
DB - 50.85
DB - 44.71

GUESS Average: 50.22

Assuming you had the vision to see all these players, you could start right now and sign a 50+ ooint class and get a LB that would probably fall in the top 10 or so LB's taken the class.  That 50.22 class would have been ranked #23 in Bryant D2 last season.

This is certainly not a reccomended strategy and the more human players there are in your division, the tougher it would be. But if you are new player who is constantly signing SIMAI recruits because you run out of money, there is a lesson to be learned here. That class would have beaten over 30 human coaches in Bryant D2 last season. A lot of these guys probably could be turned green with a phone call and an AC scout - or at least not a lot more than that. I bet you could sign that whole D2 class for under $40k without a problem.

And four years of that those kind of classes and your a bubble playoff team every year.

The moral is don't get into too manhood contests while recruiting. There are plenty good players around with which to build quality teams. You should never have to take a SIM recruit unintentionally.

1/25/2013 4:31 PM
Very good point.  Nice job.

1/25/2013 4:53 PM

New players rarely use YATR's tool.
1/25/2013 5:44 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/25/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Very good point.  Nice job.

Agreed, even though most players don't use yatzr's I think the point is that you don't have to go all in on battles, you can hang out and still sign a solid class even if you don't use the tools. Just knowing the cores will get you close enough
1/25/2013 8:37 PM
And it further enhances the point that has been made many times that there are PLENTY of good recruits around, at least with the current number of human coadches playing.  Earlier this season in Heisman, I turned loose a bunch of RBs that I could have just as easily signed if I had enough schollies.  These were D1AA recruits and my new team didnt/doesnt have very good vision.  
1/25/2013 9:57 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/25/2013 9:57:00 PM (view original):
And it further enhances the point that has been made many times that there are PLENTY of good recruits around, at least with the current number of human coadches playing.  Earlier this season in Heisman, I turned loose a bunch of RBs that I could have just as easily signed if I had enough schollies.  These were D1AA recruits and my new team didnt/doesnt have very good vision.  
A lot of these are players that were turned loose from schools with better vision. There's a lot of going around with so few human players. It is not uncommon to see teams with 40 and 50 players considering them when the team needs only a dozen recruits. That's tough to do cheaply when the worlds are full.
1/25/2013 10:57 PM
Recruiting Observation for New Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.