Hello All (question about new worlds) Topic

I have been playing the game for awhile, (loving it!), but new to the forum part of it just recently.  I have a question for some of the long-timers, is there an opportunity to start a league new at season 1? If so, what do you have to do to get into one?  Thanks for any help.
1/28/2013 5:11 PM
The problem with new worlds is that they dilute the pool of players even further.  A lot of worlds have long wait times between seasons as it is.  Adding new worlds adds to the wait time (for most).  It's a novelty, being in a new world, but it wears off quickly.  If you are looking for one, watch the classifieds and look for new "theme" based leagues.  My personal hope, however, is that there are no new worlds started until the average wait times decrease.  There was a flurry of new worlds about 12-18 months ago; I'd be surprised to see many more in the near future.
1/28/2013 8:26 PM
New worlds aren't going to happen anytime soon, at least until there aren't 77 open spots in private worlds waiting to be filled.
1/28/2013 9:38 PM
thanks guys for the info.
1/28/2013 11:07 PM
Well how does one join private worlds? Personally, it sucks taking over a team in the middle because usually the team is in bad shape and you have to spend several seasons correcting it.... 
1/28/2013 11:50 PM
Posted by bglick on 1/28/2013 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Well how does one join private worlds? Personally, it sucks taking over a team in the middle because usually the team is in bad shape and you have to spend several seasons correcting it.... 
That's pretty much the point of HBD. It's a simulation of MLB. Generally, MLB GMs don't get canned if they have winning ML teams & solid MinL systems. New MLB GMs start work for teams in some degree of crap. Exactly how it is most of the time in HBD. This isn't an instant satisfaction game. It's a long-term strategy game.

1/29/2013 1:52 AM
Well, since you didn't answer the question, you can find a private world one of two ways:
1.  The classifieds.   Good commishes are seeking replacements well before the world rolls.
2.  World Center, View Private Worlds.   You can see how many openings and the contact the commish thru there.

1/29/2013 8:41 AM
And, FWIW, some of the worst teams I took were Season 1 teams.   It's not a magic potion where everyone starts on the same level.  It's luck of the draw. Some teams are beasts, some teams blow chunks. 
1/29/2013 8:42 AM
If you have a good track record there are teams in very good shape that come available in private leagues. You just have to investigate the league and teams that are available and find one that fits what you want.
1/29/2013 11:07 AM
Posted by tufft on 1/29/2013 1:52:00 AM (view original):
That's pretty much the point of HBD. It's a simulation of MLB. Generally, MLB GMs don't get canned if they have winning ML teams & solid MinL systems. New MLB GMs start work for teams in some degree of crap. Exactly how it is most of the time in HBD. This isn't an instant satisfaction game. It's a long-term strategy game.

MLB Gms aren't spending their own money correcting the mistakes of past GMs, they're spending the money of their owners. It's pretty stupid to ahve to pay for 4 seasons before your team can become ok again. 
1/29/2013 6:28 PM
Posted by bglick on 1/29/2013 6:29:00 PM (view original):

MLB Gms aren't spending their own money correcting the mistakes of past GMs, they're spending the money of their owners. It's pretty stupid to ahve to pay for 4 seasons before your team can become ok again. 
Happens in real life.  For instance, wrong sport, but - see: NEW YORK JETS

1/29/2013 6:34 PM
If you want a ready made winner, take my old team in Boston Tea Party. Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile

I left it as a "ready to win" if you accept all the mutuals or a "fixer upper" if you decide to decline the options.   About 55m so starting payroll could be 40m or 82m.
1/29/2013 6:38 PM
It's not stupid to have owners spend 4 seasons with their own money to build up their franchise.The game is not static, and teams rise and fall as time passes. Most of the time you're not fixing past GM's mistakes as much as you are taking an aging franchise and rejuvenating it. That 36-yo slugger in the 4th year of a 5x20M deal might look like a mistake to you, but if he helped a team contend for 2-3 titles, it wasn't a mistake. This game would lose a lot of its appeal if you could "fix" a franchise in one season.
1/29/2013 7:12 PM

Honestly, you are far better off taking over a team in an established world because you can preview the roster and prospects, and gauge if it fits your needs, and if not, move on to another.

At the creation of a world, what type team you get is a crapshoot.  Rosters aren't generated until the World is full, so you have zero idea what type squad you're going to get.  It's pretty much assured that the roster you'll inherit will include a couple 40 year old geezers with three years remaining on their contracts, the rest beng mostly middling players with large contracts, maybe a couple of young gems.  If you're fortunate you'll have strong prospects and a high draft selection, but again totally random.  I've seen new teams with a horrible roster, no prospects, and a low draft pick.
1/29/2013 7:21 PM
Since I've started 4 worlds, I think I'll weigh in here...Mike and other are 100% correct.  Some of the worst teams I've ever seen have been Season 1 teams.  The ONLY difference between taking a team over in World XYZ in Season 14 and starting from Season 1 is if you are in the world long term and can see players/teams rise and fall.  That being said, you'll get the same thing starting in Season 14 with World XYZ once you stay long enough...there will just be others who were there from Season 1-13.
1/30/2013 11:30 AM
Hello All (question about new worlds) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.