Which ratings are more important? 

For instance if

player A:

Contact: 34, Power: 8, L: 33, R :38, Eye: 74, Base running: 81, Bunt: 61, Push Pull: 59

Player B:

Contact: 71, Power: 50, L: 28, R: 31, Eye: 66, Base running: 57, Bunt: 83, Push/pull: 45

Who is better at offense? Both are defensive SS. 
1/29/2013 6:27 PM
Personally I'd take B.

Marginal difference in splits, Eye is a bit lower but a vast improvement in Contact and Power. I'd only take A if 2 of the following were true.:

His defense was better.
His speed was as good as his base running.
He has a very low temper rating.

Otherwise B all day.
1/29/2013 6:48 PM
Player A:

Range: 83, G: 78. Arm Strength: 96, Arm Accuracy: 87, Speed 27, temper: 44

Player b:

Range: 80, Glove: 71, AS: 85, AA: 77, speed 47, temper: 41

Player B has a little bit room to improve, pro years: 3, with a makeup of 95. 

Am I sacrificing a lot by trading player B? 

1/29/2013 6:58 PM
You don't have a SS.
1/29/2013 7:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/29/2013 7:13:00 PM (view original):
You don't have a SS.
Here's the real answer.

But, if you absolutely must play one at SS - and you don't, but let's pretend - it has to be Player A.

Neither can hit well, and neither can field well for a SS, but Player A is less of a liability in the field, and so is the better choice from among the two poor options.

Edit: depending on projected growth of player B (real projections, not Advanced Scouting) he could in theory become a real defensive SS, at which point he'd be less bad. For now though, he's not your SS unless you are aiming for the #1 draft pick.

Edit #2: As to your original question, B should be - even now - the better hitter. But that says more about how crappy A is than anything about how good B is.

1/29/2013 7:20 PM (edited)
How good do SS' have to be at fielding to play? 
1/29/2013 7:21 PM
Posted by bglick on 1/29/2013 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Check your World to see which SS lead in errors to get a feel for how much damage a poor fielding SS can cause.

There is no magical cut off (you could play a DH at SS if you wanted) but many people use what HBD (mistakenly, IMO) calls the Big League Averages as minimum desirable ratings. For SS that's 80 Range, 85 Glove, 85 AS, 85 AA. 

You can see this for any positions (and edit your own players' positions) by going to the GM's Office and licking the hyperlinked position after a player's name.
1/29/2013 7:26 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 1/29/2013 7:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bglick on 1/29/2013 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Check your World to see which SS lead in errors to get a feel for how much damage a poor fielding SS can cause.

There is no magical cut off (you could play a DH at SS if you wanted) but many people use what HBD (mistakenly, IMO) calls the Big League Averages as minimum desirable ratings. For SS that's 80 Range, 85 Glove, 85 AS, 85 AA. 

You can see this for any positions (and edit your own players' positions) by going to the GM's Office and licking the hyperlinked position after a player's name.
HBD's suggested ratings for shortstops are my absolute minimums if I can avoid it. 

Examples of good defensive shortstops would be  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: David Wilfredo and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Machado

Here's an example of a guy who meets the minimums, except for glove, and arm accuracy Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Willie Dickerson See how many errors he gives up, even missing five points at each?

1/29/2013 7:32 PM
Danys James (AKA Player A)

Guillermo Valdez (AKA Player B)

1/29/2013 7:46 PM
Three seasons ago (S22), Danys James was 83-77-96-83. He's improved a hair since then (+1 glove, +4 AA) but not a ton.

In that S22 in AAA, he played 1268.1 innings at SS and committed 30 errors. That's not good, but it's much better than Valdez would do with a 71 glove and 77 AA.
1/29/2013 7:49 PM
WEll who I have playing at SS right now is a lot worse than either of them... but bats a lot better though....

Valdez's projected ratings should all surpass the minimums suggested but who knows if he'll ever get there. 
1/29/2013 7:56 PM
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Crash Hermanson is an example of a time I tried to get a way with having a big bat with very marginal defensive ratings. Look at season 16. He's was a little worse than Valdez is right now, but got better throughout the season. Still cost me as **** ton of errors.
1/29/2013 7:58 PM
Ugh I have no clue what to do then with my team. I think somehow every single one of my player is a defensive liability. 
1/29/2013 8:01 PM
I'm at the same place with my team.  You'd like to get as much hitting into the lineup as possible, but at some point you have to sacrifice some outs and put some glove-only players on the field.  You can probably find some in the free agent leftovers.

1/29/2013 8:30 PM
Who is the "other guy" who has a much better bat but is worse defensively?

If his bat is decent enough, I wouldn't care if he isn't TOO much worse than those two options.

IOW, if all 3 choices are poor defensively, then unless the difference is huge, I'll play the guy that could compensate for poor d with a good enough bat.

Of course I don't know if player C has a good enough bat to compensate, but you get the idea.
1/29/2013 9:24 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.