Redshirt Strategy Question Topic

I have a freshman PG who will be 3rd string this season and shouldn't really see any minutes. I put a RS on him and his WE dropped...not a huge drop but enough to stunt his growth this season to the point that I'm reconsidering.

Would I be able to leave him off my depth chart to preserve eligibility, let him grow at his current WE rate, then slap the RS on him right at the end of the season? I believe I can recoup the WE hit in his first two seasons because he'll be seeing 10-12 minutes a game at that point.

Thanks!
1/30/2013 7:29 AM
I think there is still a good chance even off depth chart he will get into a game...so will be for not
1/30/2013 7:35 AM
If his WE drops, it likely will never rebound. I had a player drop to 14 after a redshirt and remain at 14 for his entire career.

Also, tania is correct. Leaving him off the depth chart won't guarantee that he won't play
1/30/2013 7:52 AM
Also, even if you are lucky enough that he doesn't enter a game, his response at the end of the year will be the same. He won't willingly accept the redshirt this season. It's also been my experience that when you try to reapply the redshirt, his WE drops even more.
1/30/2013 9:52 AM
If you took the RS off of him after putting it on you cannot put it back or his WE will drop to 1.

Otherwise as long as his WE isnt below 30 I would say leave it. I had a similar situation with one of my guys, he had a ~20 point drop from in the 50s to 30. He was the backup PG Fr year and is now starting as a RS soph so he should still be able to max out.

1/30/2013 9:59 AM
Thank you for the great feedback! Poor kid's gonna burn a year of eligibility because of arrogance.

As context, his WE was at 47 and when I gave him the RS, it dropped to 38. Perfectly fine, but I wanted to get one almost-full season of 47-style improvement and then four at 38, which in my mind was better than 5 at 38. I redid the RS this morning and his WE dropped to 1, so we'll have to deal with 4 seasons (only 3 of which he'll see minutes) at 47. I've given an RS almost every season for both of my programs and had never experienced a kid's displeasure, so this one was a new one.

Lesson learned!
1/30/2013 11:17 AM
Posted by simpleton on 1/30/2013 11:17:00 AM (view original):
Thank you for the great feedback! Poor kid's gonna burn a year of eligibility because of arrogance.

As context, his WE was at 47 and when I gave him the RS, it dropped to 38. Perfectly fine, but I wanted to get one almost-full season of 47-style improvement and then four at 38, which in my mind was better than 5 at 38. I redid the RS this morning and his WE dropped to 1, so we'll have to deal with 4 seasons (only 3 of which he'll see minutes) at 47. I've given an RS almost every season for both of my programs and had never experienced a kid's displeasure, so this one was a new one.

Lesson learned!
Yea for the future that kind of drop is perfectly acceptable. The extra year would provide FAR more improvement than a 9 point difference in WE Not to mention the IQ improvement as well.
1/30/2013 12:24 PM
Redshirt Strategy Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.