Off the top of my head, I'd take Mowrey in a second. But let's see the math...
Based on OL performance (.317/.368/.381
) Bip projects a defensive adjusted
line of .285/.339/.34
1 at 3B. Your slash line and defense has him worse than OL history, so let's go with my numbers as optimistic.
There is no performance history on Mowrey, but given his era and that that he is right handed, I'm guess he projects to be .232/.313/.323. I know you have gotten better numbers from him, so lets use mine with the caveat that they are pessimistic. We can use '54 Yost's fielding stats as a substitute. By my calculations Mowrey's defensive adjusted line is: .250/.329/.350
Color me surprised-- The numbers are close and I'd consider Roberts over Mowrey. But I think considering
1) My methodology is conservative on defensive adjustment
2) My offensive projection on Bip was optimstic compared to your league results.
3) My projection on Mowrey was pessimistic based on your results.
4) Their projected defensive adjusted OPS is about the same
5) Mowrey will save about $300K worth of pitches over Roberts.
I'd still take Mowrey.
However, for the same money please note there are much better options at 3rd. '95 Boggs, '98 Loretta
top my list, but I'm sure there are 50 or more options that better fit the bill.
2/3/2013 1:26 AM (edited)