Last season I took over DIII Colorado in Leahy as a signficant rebuild project.  I've never really attempted this but Colorado has always been a great program in all worlds so thought it would be an interesting challenge.  However, the roster is one of the worst I've ever had or seen.  According to GUESS full roster was 226 of 228 and best player was actually a 40.1 rated ILB recruit I picked up.  I was only able to win 1 game last season, but expect to have a top 30 class this season based on avg. signee rating compared to last season's GUESS ratings.  So my question, for those that have taken on these challenges,is do I clear out the roster for the first 4 seasons and then start utilizing red shirts or go ahead and utilize red shirt for skill players, etc.?
2/3/2013 10:00 AM
Redshirt policy for rebuilding poll.  Personally I would cut 3 players that are horrific probably, then

Votes: 24
(Last vote received: 10/27/2014 12:10 PM)
2/3/2013 8:19 PM
I have a bit of a rebuild at D1AA Georgia Southern in Heisman.  My philosophy is use those 3 RS and recruit with that in mind.  You can promise starts to the guys you are NOT gonna RS to help land them and if you are getting some high potential guys then those starts and PT will help them grow.  

BTW, I also cut 3 players each of the first 2 seasons.  After that its sort of diminishing returns to cut a JR or SR, but it might still be the right thing to do since those guys are so terrible.
2/3/2013 9:29 PM
Ended up with #22 GUESS Class.  Mostly due to #3 overall recruit who was RB in my town.  Actually avg. growth potential but 49 WE and will start from day one.  Will see how he turns out.  All others are high potential and 40+ WE.  Think I will RS the 2nd RB I got and a WR.  After RS year for RB #2, worst case will be able to step in and start at FB next season and should be 60+ rated player by end of career.  Still have overall roster rated at 202 so will be a challenge to win many games but should be on the right track.
2/4/2013 12:46 PM
Use cuts and redshirts to adjust your class mix to what you want it to be. It's nice to have 5 senior OLs, but it sucks the season after they graduate. Something else on deep rebuilds; use your FR and SO starts now, but if you schedule wisely, 2 seasons from now your vision will have improved to the point where this season's starters are only backups, and you can use another set of FR/SO starts.
2/4/2013 2:59 PM

Assuming you plan to be there a while, it's OK to use red shirts now if you really want to.  However, my advice would be to play your recruits instead so that you'll win more games now.  A better record will help you sign better guys down the road which is the only way your team will improve.  I wouldn't start redshirting until your team is a little more established (able to beat all SIMS and a few humans too). 

Having said that, I like to maintain balanced classes as well as I can, so I try to make sure my cuts and redshirts help even out my classes.  Sometimes, that means using redshirts even when your team isn't quite up to par yet.

Scrodz has a great point about starting your freshmen and sophs as much as you possibly can.  Even if a senior is better, you're probably not going to win the game anyway.  You might as well get a substantial boost in WE for your young players who'll be there for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

2/4/2013 3:19 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.